View Single Post
Old 26th January 2023, 08:01   #63808  |  Link
flossy_cake

These are my sharpening presets in case anyone finds them useful. I tuned them so that for example the mid setting would appear subjectively similar "strength" on SD content regardless of algorithm.

Lumasharpen low: 0.65
Lumasharpen mid: 1.30
Lumasharpen high: 1.95
Lumasharpen max: 2.60

Adaptivesharpen low: 0.2
Adaptivesharpen mid: 0.4
Adaptivesharpen high: 0.6
Adaptivesharpen max: 0.8

Customsharpen low (sharpen, crispen, thin, enhance): 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
Customsharpen mid (sharpen, crispen, thin, enhance): 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5
Customsharpen high (sharpen, crispen, thin, enhance): 1.5, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5
Customsharpen max (sharpen, crispen, thin, enhance): 2.0, 2.0, 1.0, 0.5

Antibloat filter: unticked for all
Antiringing filter: ticked for all

I subjectively prefer Customsharpen low and mid for SD content. The "thin edges" seems good at creating the illusion of higher resolution image, but beware it does change the appearance of fonts quite a bit which is why I cap it at 1.0. I'm also capping "enhance detail" at 0.5 as it enhances compression artefacts, but it is good at creating illusion of detail in textures like wood grain or stone texture in walls, so if you have a clean source you can run it higher.

As I said previously I generally don't feel the need to use sharpening for native HD sources so I'm not a sharpening whore or anything. I just subjectively feel SD on a big screen is problematic and needs something extra. A lot of the time the sharpening will be baked into the source by the company that did the mastering and I don't feel those particular shows or movies need anything extra. eg. was watching I'm Alan Partridge S01E01 yesterday and didn't feel it needed any extra sharpening, seems to have sharpening baked into the source already.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 26th January 2023 at 08:09.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote