View Single Post
Old 19th March 2015, 15:32   #278  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi youli, and welcome to the Doom9 forums. But sorry. For your first post, I'm afraid I have to refuse most of your suggestions.

For points 1 and 2, I have to disagree. Lanczos is often considered the best resize filter, but if it's probably true when the image is enlarged, it is not so good when the picture is shrunk. Bicubic is usually considered as much better, at least in that case. And if it is true that the ReduceBy2 filters are quick, I'm not sure they are "dirty". According to the doc, they are very well suited when the video has simply to be divided by 2, and it's the case here. It is perhaps possible to have a slightly better result with Bicubic resize, but I'm not sure, and the result will not be optimized for halving the picture, and the processing will be much slower. Therefore, I don't think I'll change the resize filter. (Of course, you can change it manually in the AVS script if you wish.)

For the suppression of the black borders of Cinemascope movies, I have already replied to that point several times. I strongly refuse to encourage the users to distort the picture just to suppress the black bars. Furthermore, the subtitles cannot be converted to 3D correctly if the picture has been resized/distorted, because a subtitle will appear at "wrong" places over the image, and its depth will probably not be compatible with the content of the video at that place.

Most of the time, users want just to crop the black bars, to regain a few MB of useless data. These users assume that the TV will reconstruct the black borders at playback time. Unfortunately, it's not so simple, as many TVs are unable to display correctly cropped video streams in 3D, and anyway, they are optimized for true 16:9. However, you want something different. AFAIK, it's the first time that someone wants to remove the black bars AND resize the picture to occupy the whole 16:9 area, thus distorting voluntarily the image! Sorry again, but I can't accept that! If you want to butcher your movies, do it without my help!

For your remark about the new MKV options, I must say that I don't know them. I have to learn why they may be useful and what problem can happen if you omit them. If I am convinced that they are useful, I will certainly add them. Do you know a site with a good explanation on the pro and cons of these options?

[EDIT] Found this page with good explanations about several compatibility options of MkvMerge. It seems that a good player should have no problem with the new feature, if it has been written to ignore what it doesn't understand, as recommended. Therefore, if a player has problems with the latest versions of MkvMerge, it's the player that has bugs, and theoretically I should not have to add workarounds in BD3D2MK3D. Especially, I can't force other users of good players to remove the new MKV features, just because some players are bad. So, I propose to add a sub-menu in the Settings menu, with the options described on the GitHub page. You will have to select the options needed for your system, but they will not be enabled by default. Is it OK?

[Second EDIT] This post, also by Moritz Bumkus, confirms that the bug is in the player, not in MkvMerge. In this case, the player is VLC. (BTW, I have never understood the success of VLC. It has many bugs and compatibility problems, and is often out of standard, especially with the DVD format. If you use it, you should seriously consider using a better player.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 19th March 2015 at 16:03.