View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:50   #1545  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Hi Moritz

I'm not sure which is at fault here, but thought to report it. I've noticed that whenever creating AVI files with mencoder which contain AAC audio from FAAC, regardless if one uses object=2 (for LC AAC) or not in the options, they all end up being reported by MediaInfo as being Main profile in the MKV. This happens when directly taking the AAC audio from the AVI, ie mkvmerge -o output.mkv myfile.avi. However, if repeating the same but this time dumping the AAC audio with -of rawaudio and then using the audio file to feed mkvmerge, MediaInfo correctly reports LC profile when object=2 is used for encoding (and it reports Main profile when object=1 is used, which is correct). I've also compared the results of another muxer (MP4Box) and if I use object=1 while encoding and then muxing to mp4, MP4Box correctly reports it being Main profile AAC. When object=2 is used during encode, MP4Box reports it as being LC profile, which is correct. So, I suspect either mkvmerge has a small bug when dealing with AAC audio in AVI or MediaInfo does but I'm not sure which one.