View Single Post
Old 12th April 2011, 23:26   #584  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
@ johnmeyer: ... it's doesn't seem feasable that with QTGMC+reinterlacing you got the same detail loss as from the plain fieldbased resize...
Thank you, thank you, thank you Didée for posting. Because I respect your opinion so much, it forced me to go back and re-do the QTGMC testing from yesterday. This time, I broke it down into smaller steps and found two errors: one with the re-interlacing (simple, but I blew it anyway) and one with the codec choice.

As you expected, the code below does provide better results than Vegas, and actually provides really fantastic results, if your goal is to take interlaced HD and produce great looking interlaced SD. I compared the uncompressed results with what I get with various codecs and found that the quality of the result really shows ALL the flaws in each codec. Obviously this is nothing surprising to readers on this forum, but my point is that this provides about the highest level of detail these SD codecs (like DV codecs) ever have to deal with.

So, be careful what codec you use, or you can throw away some of the detail that you worked to hard to preserve.

Code:
#Script to re-size from HD to SD using deinterlace/framedouble - resize - followed by re-interlace
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MVTools\mvtools2.dll")
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveGrainSSE2.dll")
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\SSE3Tools.dll")
loadplugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\mt_masktools-25.dll")
Import("E:\Documents\My Videos\AVISynth Scripts\QTGMC-3.31.avsi") #

AVISource("e:\frameserver.avi").assumetff()

QTGMC( Preset="Very Fast", FPSDivisor=1, EdiThreads=0, ShowSettings=false ) #use for 60p output

LanczosResize(720,480)
separateFields()
#SelectEvery(4,0,3) #BFF
SelectEvery(4,1,2) #TFF
Weave()

Last edited by johnmeyer; 13th April 2011 at 18:16. Reason: spelling mistake