View Single Post
Old 25th January 2011, 13:47   #40  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well, this is something I expected.

Not only that you contradict a lot of people from 2 countries, you still insist in your theories. I think anyone has by now realised the quality of the advices you give. Small sample size, short interval, yet grandiose conclusions, oh no, sorry, axioms.

Typically, around the time Groucho2004 burned the DVD whose scan was posted, the manufacturers liked to advertise a sort of 50 years for the lifespan. One should also know that the measuring conditions the companies use are completely different than those a typical user has (also the accelerated ageing is different, but this is another story). That a DVDR supports 16x (or for that time 4x) it doesn't automatically mean that if burned anyway, at 16x or 22x, with any burner, it would last 50 years. Same for the measurements Philips likes to show on the package.
After a while, all these information went with the wind. Only Verbatim dared to mention a "lifetime warranty" for its archival grade DVDRs. What's a "lifetime warranty"? Nothing else that the product is free of defects for all its life, before being burned, as they cannot control the burning process. The second one was EMTEC, for its gold media. EMTEC ran out of business while Verbatim rebadges Indian disks today. Even its Blu-ray media look like being of a lower quality than the competitors -> http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=16
I am happy I burned a lot of good DVDs in the past and that I still have a reserve of premium TY for the gold recordings.

Should a DVDR be recognised and read out during the Verify phase of the writing procedure, there are chances that it would withstand at least 1 year (of course, if correctly handled). Top disks of 2010 may last up to 10 years. 50 or 100 years of storage are a dream.

It is also a difference between a DVD out of specs and an unreadable (or partially readable) disk. An out-of-specs disk can be read back with great chances, as it needs 1664 PI before the error correction be completely screwed up, whereas the standard prescribes here only 280. So with the other parameters. Lots of disk having PO over 4 are perfectly readable. Changing the reader (using maybe an LG DVDburner) could make an unreadable disk readable.