View Single Post
Old 10th March 2009, 06:20   #1090  |  Link
xopowo

The system is very stable. I do have a slight overclock, but I'm prime stable for 20-hours.

And yes, I know that running video while encoding is not a good idea. But, I just don't have the patience to wait all too often and then clearly run into trouble.

So, assuming the system is stable, and clearly acknowledging that I "shouldn't" watch and encode using the same GPU, would more memory on the card benefit? I did gain stability greatly when I went from 256mb to 768mb.

However (and I realize this is not scientific), I did not have these issues in either Vista or Win7, it is only XP that does it? Odd to say the least. But, now I think I'm remembering why I may have switched from XP in the first place.

To answer your question, most of the decoding is either CoreAVC or XviD. Last night I BSOD'd twice watching an xvid video while I was transcoding h264 to x264 (mkv). I tried MPC and it BSOD'd, so I rebooted (well, computer did much to my chagrin), and after reboot, I tried same file with VLC. Same thing. BSOD, reboot. Stopped trying to watch and encode at the same time after that. Went to bed. Woke up; encode turned out well.

**EDIT** one thing that I must point out ... to my knowledge, this only happens if I have deinterlace=1 in the AVCSource line. If I use a filter other than purevideo functionality, I don't think it will BSOD, but I would have to test to absolutely confirm this.

Last edited by xopowo; 10th March 2009 at 06:22.