View Single Post
Old 10th March 2009, 05:50   #1088  |  Link
xopowo

First of all, I love the program. Bought my license almost immediately after release and have been using it ever since.

But, as always, my ignorance prevails. So, I have a question.

I have used this program on 3 different operating systems. First with Win Xp (32-bit), then went Win 7 (64-bit), and then Vista (32-bit). XP and Vista work fine, but there is obviously the memory leak in Win 7, so I can't use that anymore until they fix it (MS presumably in this case).

Anyway, I have noticed something since I recently went back to XP (from Vista - just didn't care for it).

I have an nVidia 9600 GSO (768mb) and under Vista, I could encode an indexed dga file via avisynth with x264 and watch, say a movie or something, on my second monitor. Encoding would slow somewhat, but no crashes. Now, I'm back to XP (using 182.08 drivers), and I'm having the same issues that caused me to get a different video card in the first place.

History: I had a 256MB 8600XT and it would cause BSOD with the application (assuming it did not have enough memory on the card). I got an answer in this forum that recommended the video card to have a minimum of 512mb of RAM. No problem, so I upgrade to 9600 GSO with 768MB of RAM. Things did improve, and BSODs went away. Under Win 7 and Vista, I have not had an issue at all with this. Now, I went back to XP, and I'm having the issue again. Granted, it's only if I'm watching video while encoding, but it's definitely vexing me.

Therefore, I have to generate two questions:

(1) Could it be the drivers themselves? The only version of nvcuvid.dll I have on the box is in the DGAVCDecNV directory where I have the program, so there is no conflict there as I've read from others on here. So, thinking it is a driver issue.

or

(2) Does the application just love tons of memory? I'm willing to upgrade to a card with more memory if that is the case. But, they're expensive and since I don't play video games (demographic these cards are catered to), I don't want to spend money without educating myself.

Therefore, does it matter what GPU speeds are and threads and all that junk on the card, or as long as it's supported (the GPU itself with V1/V2) or if it's GDR2/3, etc. Or will just tons of RAM hellp mitigate this issue? I found a card with 2GB of RAM (9600GT) that is likely cruddy for gamers, but I could care less. I just don't want to BSOD while I'm encoding for long periods of time. Even if I do want to watch a movie while it's encoding (I only have one computer).

Thanks for any information one can provide in advance.