View Single Post
Old 29th February 2016, 11:56   #820  |  Link
Sharc

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the confusion comes because full-SBS/T&B is not specified in any standard. It is just a custom format AFAIK. Therefore players will handle this format as per manufacturers' gusto. Standalone Blu-ray players will normally reject anything which is larger than 1920x1080 anyway.
Personally I think that the SAR for full SBS/T&B should be signaled 1:1 because neither the left nor the right eye picture is squeezed in any respect. The DAR is 16:9 assuming that the player recognizes the file as 3D, and hence should display the picture as 16:9. In the same sense a half-SBS should be signalled as SAR 1:2. In practice it may be best NOT so signal the SAR at all, considering that half-SBS/T&B are standard formats and smartTVs will recognize and display these formats correctly as 16:9.

Encoding to formats outside of standards has its issues. At least we cannot expect "correct" playback on various devices and must be prepared to find out which tweaks will eventually succeed with a specific playback infrastructure. Trial and error, unfortunately.