View Single Post
Old 16th November 2017, 11:08   #1303  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
As for OFS files, is it possible to mux it in mkv container?
As far as I know, no. It is certainly possible to add the 3D offsets in SEI messages within the AVC video stream (exactly like they are added to the MVC stream in a 3D BD), but that would require a specific muxer or a tool that can add the SEI messages after the original creation of the h264 or h265 stream, or to modify x264 and x265 to include the possibility to add them directly, when the video is encoded. That seems difficult. But it is already possible to include any file as attachment in the final MKV. Since an OFS file is made of approximately as many bytes as there are frames in the movie, it's a small file that can be loaded entirely in memory when the MKV is opened. But if the offset sequences are not muxed with the video stream, the difficulty will be to stay synchronized when the user seeks somewhere in the movie. The player must know the exact frame number it is playing to pick the right 3D depth, and many DirectShow codecs are not frame accurate. Also, an independent OFS file (included or not in the MKV container) is not suitable for video streaming.

Also, for movies with several different subtitle streams, it will be necessary to imagine a method to link each subtitle stream to its corresponding OFS file. It is easy to imagine a way to do it, for example with a little file describing that, or simply with the order of the subtitle streams matching the order of the OFS files, but there is currently no standard for that. I'm not sure the programmer of a specific player will accept to implement his own method, if it is not widely accepted.

So, I don't know if there are fatal difficulties in implementing the 3D offset sequences for SBS or T&B movies, but IMO it's possible, as long as they are associated with a video format and that can be decoded accurately and a good container. IMO, that should be the case of h264/h265 within a MKV container, but I'm not sure. (It is for sure not possible to do that with an AVI and old codecs like DivX. But who still uses AVI with that obsolete codec for a modern 3D movie?)

Last edited by r0lZ; 16th November 2017 at 11:18.