View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:55   #189  |  Link
der_groschi

AutoAdjust behavior in bright vs. very dark scenes

First of all, thanks LaTo for this awesome plugin, it's really become one of those tools i couldn't live without anymore.

I'm using it in a way that might be somewhat different from it's intended use.
Particularly, i use to combat the issue of highly inconsistent black levels i find on most DVD and bluray releases of older asian movies.

So i usually run it after dialing in the overall levels via SmoothAdjust as good as possible without clipping. Then i run AutoAdjust with auto_gain=true, gain_mode=1, with no gamma correction at all and a rather conservative dark_limit value; just enough to get the levels right for most scenes.

Now i always run into the problem of AutoAdjust being rather reluctant of changing very dark scenes, where muddy black levels are bothering me the most.
For brightly lit scenes a rather conservative dark_limit setting of 1.25 usually is sufficent, but for overall very dark scenes, i often have to crank it way up to 2.0 or even higher to get the black levels close to zero.

Is there any way to change this behavior, to allow AutoAdjust to change levels of very dark scenes by the same amount as it does brighter ones?

Or does anybody have an idea for a workaround?
I know this might not be exactly what this filter was originally made for, but finding a way to make it work this way would make my life a lot easier.

Last edited by der_groschi; 2nd February 2017 at 18:26.
der_groschi is offline   Reply With Quote