View Single Post
Old 13th April 2015, 09:20   #322  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Goedendag De_Hollander!

It's not really a bug. And anyway, it's a problem of BDSup2Sub, not of BD3D2MK3D. And I have already replied to a similar question here.

The problem is that the subtitles in IDX/SUB format (aka VobSub or DVD format) use only 3 colours (plus a 4th colour, usually fully transparent) chosen in a palette of 16 colours. For whatever reason, BDSup2Sub uses always the same fixed palette of 16 colours, and it selects the 4 "best" colours from that palette. Often, some of these colours are not perfect, simply because there is no colour in the palette that matches the colour to emulate. (There is a similar problem with the transparency values, not as visible, but present too.) I agree that it doesn't do a good job here, but I'm not the author of BDSup2Sub.

IMO, that problem can be eliminated (at least partially) by generating a new palette based on the colours really necessary, instead of imposing a fixed palette for all conversions. But that's something that BD3D2MK3D can't do, and currently, as far as I know, it's not possible with BDSup2Sub, at least automatically. If you want that feature, try to contact the author of BDSup2Sub.

The best solution is to use the BD3D2MK3D option to convert the subtitles to BD SUP format instead of IDX/SUB. That format has no colours and transparency restrictions and therefore it can use all colours exactly as they are in the original stream. The price to pay is a less good compatibility with some players.

Another solution is to re-convert the original SUP file to 2D or 3D XML/PNG manually (or use the temp folder with the 2D XML/PNG files as the starting point), and then convert the XML/PNG to VobSub with BDSup2Sub's GUI. You can then use Edit -> Edit Default DVD Palette to change the 16-colours palette to define more suitable colours for your subtitle stream. (Do not use Edit DVD Frame Palette, as that works only for the current subtitle.)

I know that it is possible to save the default palette, but I have never found how to force BDSup2Sub to use a previously saved palette by default. Anyway, even if you create manually the "perfect palette" for a specific stream, there is no guarantee that it will be suitable for other streams.

I will try to find a solution based on the saved palette. But it's without guarantee...

[EDIT] I have not noticed the post by Thalyn before posting my reply, but he has given the solution too. Thanks Thalyn!

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th April 2015 at 09:27. Reason: Thalyn's post