View Single Post
Old 16th February 2023, 20:58   #83  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
We can assign some HDR decompression profile to standard 8bit encodings - it only may have more banding at highlights. The HDR itself not limited to any bitdepth - only limitation is more or less visible banding (if dithering is not applied) at some target physical display brightness levels. It is close to 'legal expanding' of over-whites (range of 236..254 code values of Y-channel in 8bit or even to 255 because we are not limited to system-service-reserved words like in SDI) into standartized-HDR like HLG.
Correct.
Sony has been doing 8bit H.264 BT2020 HLG HDR in their old Sony A7 III cameras and they were using the expanded values of Full PC Range to take advantage of the extra headroom to make it fit better. I've seen plenty of footage shot like that. In most cases it was "good enough" (i.e it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
I just hope everyone agrees to implement 10-bit H.264 with HDR support
Sony is gonna be your best buddy, here, then, 'cause they actively support 10bit H.264 BT2020 HLG HDR in their cameras, both Intra and Long GOP (i.e I-P-B) in their XAVC flavor and of course x264 can encode those and add the right metadata. Unfortunately for you, though, no consumer hardware will play those, only professional hardware playout ports, so... it looks like it's not gonna be a thing at consumer level as such a stream is almost always re-encoded to H.265... but you know what? Never say never and most importantly if all you care about is software playback on computers, you can totally do it even today as support for HDR metadata was introduced in 2017 in x264.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote