View Single Post
Old 9th December 2017, 14:57   #1346  |  Link
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Yes, it seems that it's x264 that has a bug, but if x264 crashes sometimes then avs2yuv or even ntdll.dll, it is not easy to know where the bug really is. Is your other machine also running Windows 10 ?

Usually, I encode in CRF, but to check if I can reproduce the problem, I have just finished a 2-pass encoding of a (very small) clip, and it has not crashed. I'm still using Win7 (64-bit) because Win10 is currently still very unstable, and I hate that OS. Maybe there is something specific in Win10 that is not compatible with x264 ? But I suppose that someone else using Win10 and having experienced similar problems would have replied to this thread. It's why I persist to think that there is something wrong with your machine(s). The question is what !

Also, may I know why you encode in 2-pass ? As I've already explained several times (for example here), it is always a bad idea to use 2-pass, unless you need to control exactly the final file size (for example to burn the final MKV on a DVD). So, if it's when starting the second pass that x264 crashes, I strongly suggest to use CRF instead. You will obtain a slightly better quality for the same file size, and no crash any more! ;-)

But of course, it will be better to know why the crash occurs...

Windows 10 unstable? Not in my experience, in fact it's the exact opposite: it's really stable. Both my computers (yes, both Windows 10) run really smooth, I have no problems at all other than some crashes with BD3D2MK3D. And those crashes started occuring recently on both systems (before that, I already did dozens of encodes on both machines without any problem at all), although I cannot pinpoint exactly when that was...

To be sure, recently I performed several hardware tests (storage, memory, CPU) and no problems popped up. Even under extreme stress my system runs fine and no CPU overheating or anything like that.

Why 2-pass? Well, you may explain CRF into the most obscure details if you want, but I still think that 2-pass encoding at best settings just "feels" better to me. Also, I really like having a predictable file size even though the encodes go to my NAS which has ample storage space.