View Single Post
Old 11th June 2021, 14:18   #121  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotte View Post
This was a helpful excursion that allows me to draw the following exclusions:

Older 8-bit "familiy and people" footage which was recorded in full range (because I just simply didn't know better) should have been better recorded in TV range, because this is sth you do not want to grade a lot but just simply "quick cut and watch" on different PC-Monitors, TV sets or projectors.

Lately high quality landscape filming comes to the fore. I am recording in 10-bit with flat profiles (maybe Log-profiles later or HDR). The goal is to pull the very best quality out of it so grading in most cases is mandatory.

I understood that full range is probably the better choice for the latter. However the price might be to add ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV") at the end of the process if the video is intended for non-full range players/monitors and in this case to take care that ColorYUV() is not doing any harm to the colors and creates no banding.

And generally the final encoder should be one that tells the color range to the player. I will be trying this out with mpv.

Do this sound coherent to you ?

Thanks!
Yes, but for the RGB to YUV step, (from a full range YUV source initially), if you're grading , or working in resolve, you're working in RGB

It would be faster (and better quality) to go directly to limited range YUV from RGB; instead of RGB to full range YUV then to limited range YUV in 8 or 10 bit (using a coloryuv or similar step) - because the latter involves an extra quantization step. You can demonstrate that 2 steps introduces more banding. Basically, fewer steps in integer math (resolve works internally in float), results in higher quality, fewer rounding losses
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote