View Single Post
Old 18th June 2008, 19:32   #212  |  Link
mrgtstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradskey View Post
Hi, I believe I have posted about this before, but what you describe sounds like a common phenomenon I encounter occasionally. In my limited understanding, it has to do with copy protection and the limitations of the avi container. Even though DVDFab does a good job of removing copy protection, sometimes the protection method goes so far as to intentionally corrupt or alter the raw MPEG streams you are trying to extract. This occurs particularly with DVDs from one notorious big studio. MPEG format contains error correction and time codes that allow these to still play back correctly, but when converted you will have bad sync issues. When I encounter this issue I run the pgc-extracted VOBs through a feature called "Quickstream Fix" found in the commercial tool VideoRedo, and convert the output file with avi.NET. VideoRedo will tell you if it had to correct sync frames, after which you should not have sync issues in the converted DivX. I don't know of another tool that can do the same, though there may be one. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply....Another thought is if I use dvdfab to create an iso instead of a folder and use dvd decrpyter to extract just the movie. I have found out by selecting the ifo file created by dvd decrypter and when using AutoGK the audio and video are in sync. I don't know whether that sheds some light on anything, but wondering if it would be possible for a future avi.net release it be able to use the ifo file instead of strictly wanting the vob file to convert? However, I still use avi.net on the ones that work and AutoGK (for now) on the ones that don't, but will try what you suggested.
mrgtstr is offline   Reply With Quote