View Single Post
Old 13th August 2020, 20:47   #2250  |  Link
nhw_pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
There is also a HUGE advantage to technologies that get broadly implemented in HW decoders. The long term trend is absolutely towards using IDR frames of video codecs for still image encoding to maximize decode speed and reliability. JPEG in software is okay because it is very simple and fast to decode. But with more complex and efficient image coding, decoding complexity goes up and HW has an advantage. While an individual frame isn't such a big deal, but doing things like generating lots of thumbnails from JPEG can be quite slow even on fast computers today.
Yes, I agree with you and HW decoders have an advantage.But I still wanted to emphasize that NHW is extremely fast to encode/decode, and I even think that software NHW decoder will be very faster than hardware HEVC, AV1, VVC decoders.For example with the same level of (software) optimization, NHW is around 15x faster to decode than x265 (optimized HEVC)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
For an individual contributor, the real money is in better implementation of standards than in trying to create new standards or formats. Figuring out how to tune video encoders for better still images would be a valuable offer as a contractor. While the bitstream is the same, there's lots of stuff that an encoder does to optimize for moving images that isn't appropriate for still images.
Yes, it could be very interesting to tune video encoders for better still images, because I generally find that they lack of neatness, at least as a still image.And I have also developed processings that enhance neatness and that are not related to wavelet coding, and so transposable to any compression scheme.Yes neatness is very subjective, but really for me, despite NHW has far and far worse PSNR and SSIM scores than x265, AVIF, I still find that its results are visually more pleasant.So I do think that psychovisual tuning for still image is very important, and it would be great to work on it.
-For the little story, I did not intend to create a new standard, it's just I had very interesting course at university on wavelets in 2004-2005, and I absolutely did not have knowledge on DCT, and so naturally I orientated towards wavelets and played at home with them to try to see how far they can go...-

Many thanks again for your answer and your time Sir.
Cheers,
Raphael

Last edited by nhw_pulsar; 13th August 2020 at 20:54.
nhw_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote