View Single Post
Old 27th January 2010, 23:28   #25  |  Link
Digital Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
<snip>
You also need VBV for device compatibility, even when using ABR or 2-pass rate control.

Audio needs to be encoded separately and then muxed with the video to an appropriate container.
</snip>
I've never had a problem with any of the video I've outputted on most devices such as the iPod because I'm usuaing only about half of the specified max bitrate. Also, doesn't ratetol take care of this as well? With CRF I will be using VBV though.

Unless you have a way to solve my A/V issues, audio and video get encoded at the same time. My current implementation outputs audio to raw PCM and then I encode that to aac after normalizing and compressing the dynamic range a bit. I then mux everything back together into a mpeg-4 container. Can x264 just ignore a video with audio already in it?

@Caroliano
This would be the pp video filter using vb and hb or va and ha subfilters, yes? I'll start playing with it when I settle on my CRF settings to get the speed I need for my existing video. How much of a slowdown would I be expecting from the extra processing would you guess?
Digital Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote