View Single Post
Old 31st January 2017, 02:19   #279  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
According to this, chroma is downscaled after conversion to RGB. If that is true, why doesn't the madVR OSD report this?

Shouldn't it be Bicubic60 AR < SSIM1D100 AR?

I admit, I don't know this at this stage as a user.
Actually it can work both ways, depending on the trade quality for performance option "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance". My chart shows as it would work with this disabled. It does default to enabled.

The OSD doesn't actually ever show downscaling for chroma. Using rendering times and a heavy chroma doubler it is easy to see chroma doubling or not when toggling the trade quality for performance option but the OSD chroma line doesn't change. If both luma and chroma are set to the same doubler the OSD matches my chart and you can see chroma doubling activate and deactivate when toggling "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance"; the OSD line changes from "image" to "luma" when enabled but it still doesn't indicate what happened to the chroma (upscaled, downscaled, or how).

"scale chroma separately, if it saves performance" Disabled:

"scale chroma separately, if it saves performance" Enabled:

I wanted to show chroma doubling enabled to indicate where the performance hit comes from and this is more representative of how it works when doubling without downscaling a lot afterwards. It is hard to come up with a good chart that explains enough without being hard to understand.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st January 2017 at 02:37. Reason: fixed image links
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote