View Single Post
Old 11th November 2022, 03:21   #66  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
No one is talking about consumer electronics.
You defacto are when talking about anything older than H.264. Even broadcasters who are using MPEG2 are doing it to maintain compatibility with existing MPEG2 receivers. And so are DVD publishers using DVD-Video instead of something like AVCHD or BD9, they are doing it to maintain compatibility with existing consumer electronics DVD players. That's the vast majority of demand for encoders for pre-H264 standards right there.

And anyway, the original question was "Is XVID still used?", so I have to explain to OP that it's used mostly to target non-H264 consumer electronics devices nowadays and its relative merits over DVD-Video that those devices also support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
Also nice story there with your car DVD player. I would not interpret much into it though, there are always greater retards. More current people have moved on though, to smartphones, tablets and Smart TVs.
I am not in the market for one right now and not planning to be. It all started when browsing Philips' website for something else, and then out of curiosity I wanted to see what kind of media players their name is being plastered on nowadays (hint: not very good ones, it's budget DVD players and car DVD players). Then I veered off to Amazon to see if similar non-H264 players are sold by other brands (apparently they are, a lot). You can try to stop other people from buying these things and also try to convince other people to throw away any such players they already have, so that XVID disappears. I will be waiting. Until then, XVID will be with us for a long time. So, to answer the original question, XVID is still used and will be for a long time.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 11th November 2022 at 04:25.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote