View Single Post
Old 14th August 2009, 19:39   #79  |  Link
Lyris

OK, a small update.

I've tried out the Dostudio Encoder - not happy with the output, especially after having been used to x264. Visible compression artefacts in just about all cases when using 35-37mbps with the test videos I used (Red One clips, and a grained version of Big Buck Bunny). I imagine it'll serve it's purpose and make an affordable pathway into BD for many smaller producers, but as an anal-retentive videophile, it gets a no from me. X264's Level 4 ~20mbps encodes are blatantly better, a great reminder (if one was needed) that bitrate isn't everything.

There does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel, though: I've been trying Mainconcept Reference and while not quite at the level of X264's quality, what it's producing is at least slightly better than the encodes I see on retail BDs. Most importantly of all, it appears to be compliant (control is given over all necessary parameters, and the BD preset seems to set them all correctly). The next step will be working with a replicator to make sure that the output is actually compliant.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote