View Single Post
Old 4th October 2022, 06:10   #34  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
It's a bit contentious actually! On other forums some are saying the "remastered DVD" is still better as it doesn't have DNR and sharpening of the BD version (plus the aspect isn't squished, but they didn't notice that).

Personally I am satisfied with the BD version but only because we can unsquish the aspect. If all I had was a BD player without fine-tuning of the aspect then I probably wouldn't find it acceptable.

Is your DVD the original or remastered?
I haven't dug them out yet but I'm pretty sure they're not the remastered version. They're pretty old.
I prefer the Bluray because it's obviously been remastered for modern displays. The gamma and contrast looks better. Apparently back in the dark ages the BBC were obsessed with the picture being bright. Some of the actors on my classic Doctor Who DVDs complained about that in the commentary.

The other DAR issue is the HDMI spec which says PAL and NTSC should be exactly 16:9 or 4:3, so modern players/displays resize that way. Apparently DVD players with analogue outputs tend to use ITU resizing for analogue and generic resizing for HDMI, so the DAR could be mpeg4 for the remastered DVD version and it's generally being viewed a bit squished too, so it looks the same as the Bluray.

I'm not a fan of video that looks sharpened, but just based on the small sample I've seen I don't think the sharpening was too over the top. I haven't seen the remastered DVDs though, so I can't comment on those.

PS I don't actually know, but I suspect the bluray was created using some sort of interpolation method rather than it being de-interlaced and re-interlaced. I have some NTSC DVDs of classic Doctor Who that were created that way. They look like standard interlaced NTSC but they don't de-interlace well. Lots of aliasing and only QTGM seemed to do a decent job. If the Bluray version was created the same way you might find it's a job for QTGMC once you get to scenes with objects with sharp edges etc, even though BWDIF seemed to do a decent job with the sample. For HD you could probably get away with speeding QTGMC up a fair bit, ie QTGMC(Preset="Medium") and it'll still do a better job than most de-interlacers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 4th October 2022 at 06:29.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote