View Single Post
Old 31st October 2022, 13:02   #114  |  Link
Moonbase

Sure, that of course depends on one’s personal workflow.

I, for example, completely discard the step making of intermediate ISOs and rip my Blu-Rays directly to MKV using MakeMKV. Using the AVC/MVC MKV as an "archive base", I possibly include additional video/audio/subtitle tracks and try to flag them all correctly, i.e. default, forced, hearing impaired, visual impaired, commentary etc., plus a descriptive name like "English audio commentary by Alfred E. Newman (director)", even for, say, audio tracks—to better distinguish versions on dumb players, like "English TrueHD Atmos 9.1", "German DTS-HD MA 7.1" or "French DD+ Stereo". Most players seem to be able to at least show the track name, they might not show all flags and channel configuration. (Would make no sense playing TrueHD Atmos on a 5.1 set, or DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 on a simple stereo set.)

Thus, I’m grateful that you already support MKV as input. Everything else mentioned is just a bonus that would make things a little easier (i.e., not having to copy over track names from the original "archive" MKV).

I also love the little extras like the "left-eye-first"-approach or the "default-tracks-first" rearranging. Dumb 3D TVs (like my Samsung) don’t care much about the stereoscopy flag in MKV, they’ll use whatever flags the stream has set, or simply "left-eye-first". Also, players like KODI cannot in all cases flip the eyes correctly, or even play AVC/MVC MKVs in 3D. This is the main reason I use BD3D2MK3D—I keep the ".3d.mvc.mkv" for archiving (and the Vero 4K+) and generate ".3d.htab.mkv" for my FireTV 4K/Samsung TV combo.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote