View Single Post
Old 28th January 2011, 17:50   #9015  |  Link
dzirkelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaveli211 View Post
HD audio doesn't usually work out so well in .mkv
most people have bluray source, not .mkv.
are you sure you actually have and keep HD audio though (DTS-HDMA or TrueHD)? sounds a bit weird...I may have to test that myself
I'll tell what I do know, and what my process has been.

1) Rip a blu ray using makemkv. I check the hd audio only for the audio track, and uncheck everything else during the burning process. I play this file on my htpc and it outputs HD audio as evident by the light lighting up on my Denon 4311 AVR.
2) I then open ripbot, select the same mkv as teh source, change the CQ to 18, leave the audio as X-Copy stream, and convert. About 6 hours later, I check the compressed file, and the light on my receiver lights up again.

I can definately tell when no HD audio is being used when I compare the same source together. I can output the same compressed mkv in a different player, one that does not bitstream, and then compare it to the one I ahve set up to bitstream, and there is a noticable difference when the HD audio is being outputted.

That's why I was wondering why everyone was talking about ripbot not being able to do HD audio, as I always have been able to.
dzirkelb is offline   Reply With Quote