View Single Post
Old 15th January 2007, 10:04   #14  |  Link
Isochroma

Your work continues to be invaluable to the video community, so a heatfelt thank you!

I've been playing with demuxing EVOBs recently (they're enhanced VOBs), and had the opportunity to test AVC-ES muxing in 2.0.0.

Now, I've already tested it on more generic AVC-in-AVI streams and it's worked fine, however...

Using Graphedit, I've been able to get a very wild & wooly .264 file from an EVOB. MKVToolnix muxes it with no errors, but when played the file shows bad blocking and artifacting on almost every frame.

After finding this out, I used Yamb 1.6.0 to mux to .mp4, which subsequently played just fine. Perfect results were also achieved after muxing this .mp4 into MKV with 2.0.0.

So there is some difference between your ES handling code and MP4Box's.

I can provide the raw stream, but it's 107 MB, and I don't know of any tools to cut raw .264 streams. Maybe you can suggest something?

To finish off, many new file sources in VC-1 are coming online, and so I'd like to suggest the possibility of MKVToolnix supporting VC-1 muxing.

For example, many HD-DVDs are encoded with this new codec, but often the on-disc EVOBs are too difficult for users to play due to high CPU usage, or impossible due to HDCP requirements.

Remuxing AVC from EVOB to MKV has reduced the CPU usage at least 40%, by my latest test. It was enough to make an unplayable video playable, so this excellent format will undoubtedly also make a very significant difference in VC-1 playback performance.