View Single Post
Old 24th July 2018, 22:36   #27  |  Link
bradwiggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I suggest that anyone trying to help the OP read the following because this thread is going down the same path as the thread he started a month ago on Videohelp.com:

Why don't my interpolated videos look as good as examples I see on youtube?

The problem is that everyone there -- and it is now true of the posts so far in this thread -- didn't initially understand the real problem at the heart of what he is trying to do. Here's that problem:

He wants to create smoother motion for animation and, as most people reading this know, animation repeats some frames, but not others, and does so in a way that does not follow a regular pattern, like telecine patterns usually do. So, if you simply apply MVTools2, SVP, or Interframe motion estimation to create more frames, you end up with a real visual mess, and the motion doesn't look that much smoother.

What first needs to be done is to replace the dups in a way that takes into account the variable time gap between frames that are actually different. Thus, I don't think you can simply use FillDrops() (a function I've posted many times) to replace all duplicates, first because there are some situations where there is more than one dup in a row which will cause FillDrops() to fail, but also because some gaps in time between non-duplicate frame are going to be larger than others. THAT is where you want to insert a motion estimated frame, after you've deleted a duplicate, NOT at the place where the dup is removed.

One thing I would suggest to the OP, now that he is here on doom9, is to take a look at this thread I started several years ago:

Automatically fix dups followed (eventually) by drops

What I tried to do in that thread -- and with the help of some old code written by Didée I was able to accomplish -- was measure the temporal gaps between each non-dup frame. Then, after I deleted each duplicate, rather than insert an interpolated frame at the location of the deleted frame, I instead used my "gap logic" to insert an interpolated frame at a nearby location that had the biggest apparent jump in motion.

It wasn't perfect, but I think I was on the right track, and I believe that it might be a way to fix the OP's problem.

BTW, if someone can figure this out, what he wants is actually something that might be useful to other animation fans.
Is that the script you think the video might have been using, as that is my ultimate goal, to find a script that gets me as close to that video as possible.

Last edited by bradwiggo; 25th July 2018 at 00:02.
bradwiggo is offline   Reply With Quote