View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:03   #377  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, well, if you create 3D subtitles, there must be two subtitles (stacked vertically for T&B and horizontally for SBS), exactly like the two images of the 3D movie. The 3D subtitles must be handled correctly by the player. They must be printed on the video BEFORE the split of the two images. Unfortunately, many players consider the subtitles as 2D and duplicate them to show the same thing over the two images. That works fine with 2D subtitles, but of course, you can't keep the correct depth that way. With 3D subtitles, you see the subtitle twice (with one subtitle somewhere near the middle of the screen in T&B).

In fact, the best way to display the 3D subtitles on a 3D TV is with an external player that doesn't handle the 3D. The player thinks that the movie and the subtitles are in 3D, and therefore it displays the 3D subtitles "normally", with one subtitle over each view. Then, the TV splits the two views (including the subtitles since it doesn't know that they are there) and display them in 3D. The result is usually perfect (unless the player resizes or moves the subtitles).

However, I'm still not sure I understand you correctly. The two methods of generating the 3D subtitles should give identical results (except that it is possible to use the right depth with the method using the 3D-Planes). If I don't understand you, can you post here a screenshot of the same subtitle generated with the two methods, and explain with that example what are the differences?