View Single Post
Old 29th April 2015, 11:48   #363  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.64

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I may add an option to *try* to generate a better palette automatically for the 3D subtitles in VobSub format, but I still have to do numerous tests to be sure that that will give relatively good results, and of course to be sure that the result will never be worse than with the default palette. Currently, I'm still not convinced.
OK, I have found a way to generate a better palette to use for conversion of the BD SUP files to VobSub format. That was not easy, but I got it. The problem is that BDSup2Sub uses a very limited set of colours, and requires the colours in a specific order.

The process of analysing all subtitles from the original subtitle file is very long. Therefore, I have added a sub-menu in the Settings menu to select the method to use to generate the palette. There are 3 options:
  • "Use BDSup2Sub Default DVD Palette" doesn't generate a new palette at all. It uses the default palette, like all previous versions of BD3D2MK3D. For best results, you should verify the IDX/SUB file, and if necessary modify the palette manually (with BDSup2Sub's "Edit Default DVD Palette" option).
  • "Analyse a single subtitle" is the recommended method, because it is fast. But it will modify only the two colours used by the single subtitle it has analysed. If there are other subtitles in the same stream that use different colours, they will not be modified, and will therefore still be wrong. However, usually, a subtitle stream uses the same colour for all subtitles, except sometimes some subtitles for the hearing impaired.
  • "Analyse all subtitles" should be used only if you know that the subtitle stream has subtitles in several different colours, or if you don't care wasting several minutes (per stream to analyse).
Note that if a subtitle stream uses, for example, several different yellows, BDSup2Sub will assign the only yellow it has in its palette to the two kind of subtitles, because it has only one yellow available. BD3D2MK3D can't fix that problem, even when using the "analyse all subtitles" option, and therefore it will modify the light and dark yellow slots of the palette with colours suitable for the first yellow it finds in the stream. The subsequent yellow subtitles in the stream may still have wrong colours.

Anyway, I think that with the default option to check a single subtitle only, BD3D2MK3D should already produce much better VobSub streams than before. And of course, if you want perfect subtitles, you should use the BD SUP format instead of VobSub (but take care and verify if your players are compatible with the BD SUP format).

Most of the other modifications in this version are also related to the Palette. For example, I have added a Tool to generate a palette from any subtitle file in BD SUP or XML/PNG format. See the version history for details:
Quote:
# v0.64 (April 29, 2015)
# - Added support for Kodi/xbmc 3D extension strings in the output file name.
# - Added an option to omit the director name in the output file name (for Kodi/xbmc).
# - The BD SUP (PGS) subtitle file format is now the default (in tab 2)
# - New analysis of the subtitles for a better palette when converting the subtitles to VobSub format (2D or 3D).
# - Added the Settings -> VobSub Palette menu to select the palette analysis method.
# - Added an option in Tools -> Convert Subtitles to 3D (with 3D-Planes) to select the palette analysis method.
# - Added Tools -> Generate VobSub Palette from a BD SUP File
# - Tools -> Open Subtitle in BDSup2Sub loads now also the palette.ini file of the same name if it exists.
# - Updated MkvMerge and MkvPropEdit to the latest version (v7.8.0)
# - Updated x265 to the latest build (2015-04-29).
As usual, download the latest version here: BD3D2MK3D.7z