View Single Post
Old 4th December 2022, 01:18   #1674  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
2:2-centric content with the occasional 1:1 scene, eg. The Office, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Had a look at these discs on the Sony DVD player and to my surprise it's quite bad at handling it -- the 1:1 sections are combed until there is a very large amount of motion, at which point the DVD player realises it's 1:1 and switches to mocomp deint. Then on switchback to 2:2 there is something different about the image quality, can't quite understand it. Some kind of really mild combing artefact that is almost imperceptible. It sort of looks progressive but then sort of doesn't? Can't describe it, but it's not the same clarity as the 2:2 section before the 1:1 section.

Anyway, I thought this was remarkable as the same DVD player has no trouble identifying those orphan fields from NTSC 3:2 soft telecine. I guess for NTSC content it's looking at the repeat field flags, whereas with PAL content there generally doesn't seem to be any such flags so it must be relying on trying to detect combing in the image itself (much like IsCombedTIVTC but way worse accuracy... or thresholds have deliberately been set high to maximise progressiveness on 2:2).

Last edited by flossy_cake; 4th December 2022 at 01:22.
flossy_cake is online now   Reply With Quote