View Single Post
Old 14th November 2020, 00:35   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

End price will depend quite tightly on country because of copyright levies.
For continental Western Europe I see 2,50 .. 4,00€ per disc ATM, some 1,80€.
I guess BD-R 50GB will always stay at a premium, me as quality addict seeing that with grief too.

One can read from those price tags that right from the beginning of 50GB BD-R
the film industry must have sent their lawyers against legislation forces to get exactly the desired result:
No matter if one is using that for content he owns:
Heavy levy for all. Because only with BD-R 50 one could copy movies 1:1.

People who want to use BD-R for data storage easily avoid the pressure and move to BD-R 25GB,
or recompress, but lose the 1:1 copy.
And one who wants to deliver quality from his own material ?

To get BD-R 128 GB one has to order from Japan and get ridiculously priced (~16€ each, add shipping, add local VAT)
de-cartridged SONY blanks that could not be sold otherwise. And no playability from Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray disc players.

Even with BD-R 100GB blanks using only 2 layers of 3 (which would theoretically fit the BD-ROM 66GB bit length and track scheme)
reportedly only one of the few UHD players had reported success (half a year ago, I didn't read up recent attempts)

BTW, While dabbling with TL a tiny bit, TL, QL I wouldn't trust too much. The more layers, the more probabiblity of data loss.

Just for what it's worth: Just by chance in 2020 opened a pack of once, twice used PHILIPS DVD+RWs from ~2008,
only to find that 50% of these had badly visibly deteriorated on the index track:
Recording layer blooming out in 2..4mm rainbow circles...
Fortunately no data lost.
Still most of my work on DVD-R 4,7 GB, 8,5 GB and BD-R 25GB seem to be intact.

Some second source brands might be ok, but... Double Layer ?
Unreadable means total failure, you will regret it.
For BD-R 50GB production I only used Verbatim MKM (Mitsubishi Kagaku Media),
for DL/TL testing I just bit the bullet and use 2 Panasonic BD-RE 50GB and 1 Panasonic BD-RE 100GB.
You may want to fire up ImgBurn to read the read the manufacturer of your disc.

What countries are we about to compare ?

Last edited by Emulgator; 20th November 2020 at 00:10.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote