View Single Post
Old 20th April 2019, 21:33   #42  |  Link
sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
So I am suggesting -vf setsar=sar=10/11 , but you have to check the actual footage with known objects or references because all sorts of things might distort the AR (studio screw up before broadcast, bad cap etc...) But a native DV camcorder will use ITU rules 99.9% of the time

My tests confirm the same -

Approach:
- Captured video directly over a perfect circle, filling the frame as much as possible
- Transferred via FireWire WinDV
- Transcoded using the ffmpeg seen in my script, using both the original setsar I'd proposed, and the recommendation you made, but I added a -vf filter to include the frame number so I can compare frame to frame between them easily.
- Opened both videos in Resolve, with a 1920x1080 timeline square pixel
- Added both videos to the timeline
- Took screen-shots of the fullscreen scaled 1920x1080 (still 4:3, with pillar boxes) from both versions of the video (the sar 8:9/dar 4:3 and sar 10:11)
- Imported the screenshots into Gimp, and used various circle tools to examine them

Result:

The SAR 10:11 version was a more perfect circle than the other.

I repeated the same test for video captured using a legacy SD Hi8 analog camcorder, with the same results.

Thanks again all - it's time to let my machine crunch on the videos. Soon I'll be color grading in Resolve.

I'll follow-up with a reply that includes my full script etc.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote