PDA

View Full Version : ok so how do i do this??

a_n_n_a_m
26th August 2004, 21:06
im a complete newbie guys, so sorry if i say something really stupid..

i want to capture picture and sound from my tv or my vcr.. i have the two wires i use to connect my pc to my tv to view dvds.. one for the sound, which starts off as one and finishes in two, (one for each megaphone) and one for the video.. i connect these on a pretty weird scart, which is then connected on the back of the tv.. (as you can see my technical terms are a bit rusty after three months of vacations, sorry about that!! :rolleyes:) i noticed that on this scart there is a switch for input and output.. so i guess that output is from the pc to the tv and vice versa for the input.. the output for viewing the dvd (from my pc) on the tv works just fine.. i also have virtualdub mod on my pc.. i tried some tutorials etc but i dont really understand what they are saying..

so do you thing i could actually capture video with the hw and sw i have? just tell me what else i need and what i should do, in really simple steps and i'll be just fine, im a really quick learner!!

tnx a lot! :D

rfmmars
27th August 2004, 02:05
You you have a capture card or capture device? The scart input/ouput block is not.

richard
www.photorecall.net

a_n_n_a_m
27th August 2004, 18:33
i dont think so.. at least not that i know of... :rolleyes: :(

a_n_n_a_m
27th August 2004, 21:11
cant i do it without a capture card?? :(

jggimi
28th August 2004, 00:55
No, of course not. A capture card is a device that accepts analog video signals and converts them to digital images.

Time to read. Start with the Capture FAQ and the Capture Guide. You can find both at the top of this forum's list of threads.

Arachnotron
29th August 2004, 20:22
i connect these on a pretty weird scart, which is then connected on the back of the tv.. (as you can see my technical terms are a bit rusty after three months of vacations, sorry about that!! :rolleyes i noticed that on this scart there is a switch for input and output..

From your description I get the impression you are using a scart adapter. Since scart connectors can be uses for both imput or output, depending on the device that has them, the adapters can be made suitable for both too using this switch. Otherwise you would need separate adapters for recording and playback.

However, the converter is just that, a dumb connector converter. There are no electronics inside them. A device that does not accept input over it's scart connector cannot be made to do so by plugging an adapter into it and flipping the switch.

But if you were to connect a video device to another device that does accept input over it's scart - say a VCR- using an adapter, you would have to put the switch in the 'in' position before you could record anything. Otherwise the internal wiring would be wrong.

And yes, you really should read the capture guide first :)