Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 30th July 2005, 20:16   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Snow encoding GUI

MeGUI Snow edition is a mencoder based Snow encoder, offering all the features of the Snow wavelet codec (which means more than ffdshow). This edition is the small brother of MeGUI and it offers a straightforward upgrade path (the snow edition is fully compatible with the full edition).

You'll need the following additional software installed:

.NET Framework 1.1 Version 2.0 is currently not supported!

Avisynth 2.55 for video frameserving. Beta versions are NOT!!! supported

A YV12 VfW codec. If you have a recent XviD version installed, that will suffice. If you don't get any preview when opening an AviSynth script, install the Helix YV12 codec

latest version of mencoder (it's part of the mplayer package, pick the version that best matches your CPU)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MeGUI-snow.0.2.3.1.zip (68.5 KB, 4853 views)
Old 4th August 2005, 19:43   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

A new build is up. Just cosmetical changes really.
Old 4th August 2005, 20:34   #3  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Any screenshots? I don't have .NET.

[edit]

also, rename your topic to: MeGUI Snow edition, which is more appropriate.
Old 4th August 2005, 21:08   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
also, rename your topic to: MeGUI Snow edition, which is more appropriate.
I don't think you get to tell the admin of any board what he has to do MeGUI doesn't really tell you anything unless you know the software so that title would not best represent what's in it.

VideoHelp has a screenshot of the first tab of MeGUI.. this edition looks just like it except that it is smaller (on audio part). I don't think you need screenshots, if the featureset works for you download it and install the prerequisites, if not, nobody forces your hand..
Old 4th August 2005, 22:35   #5  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I don't think you get to tell the admin of any board what he has to do
Take it as an opinion. I was kinda deceived to find a thread about megui while I was expecting a snow encoder
Old 5th August 2005, 07:26   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. without specs how would anyone write another encoder? and I changed the title to reflect the fact that it's a GUI.

Still, "change ... " is an order, "would you consider..", or "wouldn't it be better.." is a polite request c'est le ton qui fait la musique, non?
Old 11th August 2005, 05:44   #7  |  Link
chilledoutuk

I am having trouble encoding some videos with mencoder and this gui the video keeps coming out all washed looking and very small file size.
I have tried a couple versions of mencoder to no avail. I also tried different colour spaces to no avail.

I would very much like to get this working as i like the snow codec from what i have encoded in ffdshow.

When I'm good I'm very, very good but when I'm bad I'm better.
chilledoutuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 22:53   #8  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@chilledoutuk: logfiles? and which dgindex version are you using?
Old 18th August 2005, 23:28   #9  |  Link
chilledoutuk

I have tried using a few different versions including the latest 1.4 and even dvd2avi 1.76 to no avail heres the 2passs log file and the end result video

Old 19th August 2005, 13:00   #10  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

didn't you forget something? there's no attachment.

Quote:
I have tried using a few different versions including the latest 1.4 and even dvd2avi 1.76
it needs to be 1.21 and obviously your dgdecode.dll needs to match the dgindex.exe version or it won't work.

Also, what settings are you using?
Old 19th August 2005, 16:23   #11  |  Link
chilledoutuk

hmm i did attach some files seems to not have got attached ill upload them to my webspace and get you a link

EDit
ok heres the files

www.chilledoutuk.co.uk/vids/snow.rar

Last edited by chilledoutuk; 19th August 2005 at 16:33.
Old 19th August 2005, 16:44   #12  |  Link
chilledoutuk

Ok i just tested 1.21 and the result is the same.

In settings i use pretty much the defaults with automated 2 pass and a 1000 bitrate.

Old 19th August 2005, 17:29   #13  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

actually, I'm more interested in the megui logfile.. the one you'll find in the logs subdirectory.
Old 19th August 2005, 17:47   #14  |  Link
chilledoutuk

OK heres the megui log: -

Next job job1-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"mencoder.exe" "G:\DVD Music\ga g\new dgindex.avs" -ovc lavc -o NUL: -passlogfile "2pass.log" -lavcopts vcodec=snow:vpass=1:vbitrate=1000:vstrict=-2
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
Next job job1-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"mencoder.exe" "G:\DVD Music\ga g\new dgindex.avs" -ovc lavc -passlogfile "2pass.log" -lavcopts vcodec=snow:vpass=2:vbitrate=1000:vstrict=-2 -o "F:\test snow.avi" -of avi -ffourcc SNOW
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-2

Log for job job1-2

desired video bitrate of this job: 1000 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: 126.516566866267 kbit/s

Old 19th August 2005, 18:12   #15  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I finally watched your video.. that's the effect from the bitrate.. if you look at the log, the obtained bitrate is
Quote:
126.516566866267 kbit/s
which is very low. I'm not sure why you get such a low bitrate instead of the suggested one. I'll go check up on the snow commandlines again but at first glance I don't find anything wrong.

@edit: upon studying the supported commandline parameters posted in the snow thread, I don't find anything funny with your commandline. However, I encoded in two pass mode earlier today and the result was a big but black video. Now I've tried CQ mode and that seems to work out as it's supposed to. I'm now also trying another automated 2pass, with all the suggested settings by the authors (the 3 mbcomp modes at SSD, no m4v (that's a real speed killer.. I get 3 fps with, 11 fps without it), default prediction mode. I'll report again when I'm done.
Old 19th August 2005, 18:52   #16  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, something is fishy here.. when I encode from the commandline, the first pass completes as it should, but the second pass starts with a few hundred lines of QP<=0.0, which makes no sense to me. Also, encoding is faster than the first pass, I'd expect it to be slower. In the end, I got a very small file that is just gray. I'll try some other settings but I think that the bitrate based mode may not work properly in snow for now.
Old 19th August 2005, 19:04   #17  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm trying and trying but two pass just doesn't work for me.. at least it appears not to be my fault :/
Old 19th August 2005, 19:57   #18  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, the problem and solution has been described here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...&goto=lastpost

I guess there aren't too many snow users. I'll probably implement that workaround but it's no ideal solution, because the first pass quantizer should ideally match the average quantizer during the second pass.. and since you can't derive a quantizer from a bitrate, it'll always be inaccurate.
Old 19th August 2005, 23:17   #19  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, the new release contains a workaround to make two/three pass encoding usable.
Old 20th August 2005, 04:08   #20  |  Link
sugala

Could someone tell me what the quality of the snow encoding be like?
sugala is offline   Reply With Quote