Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 30th July 2005, 20:13   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

full fledged x264.exe GUI

Here's the first productive release of my x264.exe GUI. It's meant for those who prefer a GUI for just x264 without the additional bells and whistles that MeGUI offers. And if you should decide that audio encoding, muxing, and support of other codecs would be nice, there's an easy upgrade path (profiles, settings and even queued jobs are compatible).

You'll need the following additional software installed to use it:

.NET Framework 1.1 Version 2.0 final may work as well. Please report your findings.

Avisynth 2.55 for video frameserving. Beta versions are NOT!!! supported

A YV12 VfW codec. If you have a recent XviD version installed, that will suffice. If you don't get any preview when opening an AviSynth script, install the Helix YV12 codec

x264 CLI

For changelogs, keep an eye on this post: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...495#post674495
Old 30th July 2005, 20:28   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

thanks doom9... that's what i needed
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 02:59   #3  |  Link
jellysandwich

I assume NET framework is required?

js
jellysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 11:01   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I assume NET framework is required?
Yes. It is based on MeGUI code which is C#.
Old 1st August 2005, 01:55   #5  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Noticed a bug - when you switch from the main tab to the queue tab, the window gets resized and cuts off some of the UI buttons in the queue tab - particularly the "clear" button. Also, the window does not resize when you click back to the main tab - cutting off other UI elements.

Just thought you should know doom9

-Misfit
Old 1st August 2005, 02:06   #6  |  Link
Pirks

Here's another bug: I load AVS script, select MKV in "File Type", press "..." button to the right of "Video Output", the "Enter name of output" file dialog pops up and... hey, where is MKV in "Save as type" menu at the bottom? There's only MP4 available.
Pirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 06:55   #7  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit
Noticed a bug - when you switch from the main tab to the queue tab, the window gets resized and cuts off some of the UI buttons in the queue tab - particularly the "clear" button. Also, the window does not resize when you click back to the main tab - cutting off other UI elements.
Resizing works fine for me.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 09:30   #8  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Resizing works fine for me.
Hmm.. could have something to do with my .net framworks. I had (at some point) the 2.0 beta installed along with most of visual studio 2005. It is now gone, but since then anything .net related has been a little sketchy... It's really time for me to reformat.

Anyone else having this bug?

-MiSfit
Old 1st August 2005, 10:04   #9  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Hmm.. could have something to do with my .net framworks. I had (at some point) the 2.0 beta installed along with most of visual studio 2005. It is now gone, but since then anything .net related has been a little sketchy... It's really time for me to reformat.

If you've deinstaled 2.0 I don't see a problem, I run 1.1 and 2.0 side by side without problems, after all it's build to work side by side. If more than one version is installed the version should be executed against it was compiled. I would expect that it's a OS problem in particular how your OS does GUI's (themes etc.). Something could be screwd of course, I've even heard some virus scanner could break .NET GUI code so format could help but this should always be the last thing to do. Note that .NET don't make very deeply changes to the system. Did you try to reinstall 1.1, I would always use the english version in case something crashes to have english error messages for posting bug reports.

Last edited by stax76; 1st August 2005 at 10:08.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 10:22   #10  |  Link
Koti
Always trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit

yep , same problem , never had .net 2.0 either

Display res @ 1600x1200 , large fonts (120dpi) , ATI AIW 9600
Koti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 10:54   #11  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I cannot reproduce this either. I know the problem but I fixed that previous to the release. However, seeing that you're using granny fonts (sorry, I make jokes about this even at work, large fonts cause a lot of problems and basically destroy any advantage of a big resolution.. your 1600x1200 turns into crappy 1024x equivalent by using large fonts so you should've never bought a screen that can handle that reslution).. I could imagine that the fonts are the culprit. Can you post screenshots of how the GUI looks?

Quote:
Here's another bug: I load AVS script, select MKV in "File Type", press "..." button to the right of "Video Output", the "Enter name of output" file dialog pops up and... hey, where is MKV in "Save as type" menu at the bottom? There's only MP4 available.
I can confirm that. It's an omission in the conditional code and works as it should in the full MeGUI. I'll fix this in the next release. It's no issue for an intermediate fix release since even though you can only chose mp4 files in the opening dialoge, the extension doesn't matter anyway.. it will automatically be switched to mkv as soon as you press the OK button in the opening dialog. Adn the same problem also comes up when you set the output type to raw.
Old 1st August 2005, 17:17   #12  |  Link
Koti
Always trying

Quote:
Can you post screenshots of how the GUI looks?
1st opened

Q window

back to input after q window

Just a thought , kurtnoise fixed this in Yamb by making a resizable window, here

Thx from the blind guys at the old folks home
Old 1st August 2005, 17:37   #13  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

How does MeGUI behave in this situation? The problem clearly is your DPI settings, and I don't want the window to be resizeable (it's not as simple as setting a flag, you have to make sure it does resize and doesn't look ugly because you're only using parts of the screen).
Old 1st August 2005, 19:11   #14  |  Link
Koti
Always trying

Quote:
How does MeGUI behave in this situation?
Errr.... actually never installed/used it
(guess I should give it a go )
Quote:
it's not as simple as setting a flag
I bet its is a lot of work , unfortunatly I am clueless on programing - was just mentioning how kurt fixed issue.

Ah well my dpi is staying as is ,

edit - MeGUI behaves very well - can swap back and forth and all parts remain visible.

Last edited by Koti; 1st August 2005 at 19:45.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:40   #15  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

In MeGUI there's no GUI resizing code (well, almost none, I figure the preview window will give you grief as well, but it might just work out because there are only few GUI elements). Since the app seems to be resized automatically to adapt to the DPI settings, the MeGUI main window should work just fine for you.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:46   #16  |  Link
Koti
Always trying

MeGUI does fine in all parts - preview window included
would it be possible to make x264.exe GUI behave like this or would it be alot of work ? If not , I understand.

Last edited by Koti; 1st August 2005 at 19:53.
Old 4th August 2005, 19:42   #17  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
would it be possible to make x264.exe GUI behave like this or would it be alot of work
Turns out it was a couple lines of code. I did not write the window resizing code and it wasn't done the way I'd have made it. I have no idea if it's using Form.Size rather than Form.ClientSize or me saving the size of the form after initialization and use that size instead of hardcoded sizes, but the new release resizes properly even with granny fonts.
Old 14th August 2005, 14:12   #18  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

is 2.1.9 going to be released?
Old 14th August 2005, 14:18   #19  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

yup, but as I said in the main thread, I want to wait for the first bugreport (or a lack thereof), as I've made considerable internal changes that affect every mode. You can compile your own as the source code is out, you just need to define X264_ONLY in VS.NET (I'm afraid commandline compilation at this point doesn't work because of the bitmap I'm compiling into the app.. but if you find a way to get around that feel free to share). Please do not post your own builds though.
Old 14th August 2005, 14:23   #20  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

ok