Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2005, 04:23   #1  |  Link
LoKi128

VMR9 output too bright

--- EDIT ---
Has nothing to do with x264. Look below.
--- EDIT---

Well, I got down to experimenting with x264 and I noticed that a movie I encoded seemed "washed out". It either has the brightness turned up, or the saturation turned down or both.

So I opened the AVS with MPC and took saved the frame. Then I opened the MP4 with the encode and also saved that frame. As you can see, there is an obvious difference between them.

Using x264-270, MPC v6.4.8.4, ffdshow-20050619 and Haali-20050626. Both shots taken with MPC. Commandline used to encode:

x264.exe --bframe 3 --b-pyramid --weightb --ref 3 --bitrate %2 --pass 1 --stats "%1_x264.log" --analyse all --8x8dct --subme 6 --progress --output %1_Pass1.mp4 %1.avs

AVS Used:
mpeg2source("GardenState.d2v",idct=5,info=3)
Telecide(order=1,guide=1)
Decimate()
#ColorMatrix(hints=true)
undot()

Tried with both ColorMatrix on and off, but it didnt change the output. Maybe I'm setting it up wrong and using hints mode is not enough? I remember this same question being asked in the XviD forum every once in a while, but it never happened to me with XviD.

I'm thinking that I'm missing something very obvious about this whole thing, since no one has mentioned this before. Be gentle!

PS. I'm loving x264... great quality at full DVD res at 700kbps
Attached Images

Last edited by LoKi128; 30th June 2005 at 04:19. Reason: Title of the thread is no longer correct.
LoKi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 10:28   #2  |  Link
bond

your screenshots are not showing the same frames?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 10:59   #3  |  Link
azsd
6502 fan

not same but similar frame....
azsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 18:42   #4  |  Link
yokem55

Do you have any brightness settings set with ffdshow?
yokem55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 20:49   #5  |  Link
Sergejack
Confused User

similar frame ?

Have you heard about those cloud things ?

You need the same frames to show the difference you're talking about.
Sergejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 22:00   #6  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergejack
You need the same frames to show the difference you're talking about.
what are you talking about? just open images in 2 windows and switch between them, the first is properly saturated and the second has white mist overlay, I can't belive you guys harras a guy about frame difference when the colour-saturation difference is so huge. And since he applies the same filtering to the entire movie and not to segments of it, filtering should either make it all white or not. Thus the problem is with his x264 encoder, either you guys can see something wrong with his command line (which I don't atm) or something is broken in the encoder.

Last edited by lexor; 28th June 2005 at 22:04.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2005, 00:04   #7  |  Link
LoKi128

Sorry about the two different frames! Going to the same "frame" in MPC didnt give me the same frame at all, and after a bit of moving the slider around and playing the movie, I just said "eff it" and used diff shots. Anyway, I think the diff is pretty obvious anyway.

Well, I'm back home from work, so I'll try a few different versions of x264 and see what I get. Oh and I don't have any brightness settings in ffdshow. I usually only have postprocessing and sharpen, but for this test I disabled them all.
Old 29th June 2005, 20:02   #8  |  Link
Pookie

Here's my comparison of source Mpeg2 vs target x264. The x264 is a bit brighter - not too bad, however.

Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 03:56   #9  |  Link
LoKi128

Well, I've been kinda busy. Anyway, played the video back with mplayer and it shows the correct brightness. So the problem has to be in either mpc or ffdshow. So i play it with WMP6.4 and it also has the correct brightness. So it is definetly MPC. I play around with the different output options:

System Default: OK
Old Renderer: OK
Overlay Mixer: OK
VMR9 (windowed): Too bright, jerky
VMR9 (renderless): Too bright

The "render video in 2D/3D" settings don't change the brightness of the output in VMR9 mode. This is all with MPC 6.4.8.4. At this point I don't know if it is a problem with MPC or with the windows VMR9 drivers or whatever.

Anyone know what could be affecting the VMR9 "side" of the output, or where to tweak that?
Old 30th June 2005, 04:18   #10  |  Link
LoKi128

Did some searching, found this post that mentions changing the output colorspace of ffdshow to YUY2 to output the correct range of values. That didnt help. So I disabled them all and just left RGB32 (with the high quality option ticked) and that fixed the problem.

This thread is obviously not related to x264 at all. Maybe it should be moved into Software Players or some other appropriate place.
Old 30th June 2005, 05:30   #11  |  Link
hrlslcbr

Hello. I also get brighter colours using VMR9, but I believe that it is not a problem of the VMR9 filter, but a problem of the overlay mixer producing colours that are too dark. The blacks of the second image you posted seemed ok to me; not too bright, but the first one is too dark.
If your source is DVD, then the colour range is 16-235 and not 0-255 so black will not (or should not) look like black on a PC monitor, but should appear slightly grey; and that's what you're getting with the VMR9 filter.
The black bars on the second image are 16,16,16 (RGB), and the ones in the first one are 0,0,0.

Last edited by hrlslcbr; 30th June 2005 at 05:37.
hrlslcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 03:41   #12  |  Link
Beave

I had the same problem and discovered in some other forum that this is a typical VMR9 feature. It has the black point at around 15 % higher than it should like described in the post above. There is some advantage to this I can't remember. The same for the whites as well. You are supposed to adjust your screen so that the blacks get black again (16 should look like 0 after lowering the brightness of the display). There are even some parts of calibration DVDs that just cover this part.
My suggestion is to use overlay on normal computer monitors and VMR9 on dedicated Movie-Monitors like your HTPC under the TV.
Somewhere in the avsforum there are huge threads and how-tos about this.
Beave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:50   #13  |  Link
donjuan03

My IPod 5g (video) seems to use the VRM9 type blackness and it is making my encoded videos look over bright is there any recommendations for encoding with limitations such as I have? Any help appreciated
donjuan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2006, 14:16   #14  |  Link
3ngel

This brightness problem has been discussed in another thread "Decoder Filter for x264 decoding", and has been discovered that there is a real issue in the FFDShow decoding regarding brightness and color space.
With the default FFDShow settings the color space is junked. Allowing only RGB24 and RGB32 on FFDShow, the color space problem is gone, but the decoding remains a bit more bright than the original source (or compared to other decoders). I think atm it's a kind of a bug.
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 20:10   #15  |  Link
donjuan03

So during the encoding this problem occurs or during playback because it seems to happen during playback on my computer (unless i switch to overlay) and it happens with playback on the IPOD as well. Maybe I could encode it darker expecting the brightness gain, but I would like to find the source rather than avoid it.
Old 3rd January 2006, 20:43   #16  |  Link
Manao

Quote:
and has been discovered that there is a real issue in the FFDShow decoding regarding brightness and color space
It's not quite what have been said. The issue lies within the renderer, not the decoder.
Quote:
I think atm it's a kind of a bug
*sigh*. It isn't a bug. Do understand that the decoding process is correct. The pixel values are correct - in the boundary of dct mismatches for asp. If they are shown wrong, the issue isn't in the decoder anymore, but in the renderer. Forcing RGB output in FFDShow is a last chance workaround, but do be sure that there're other ways to achieve the same results without having to go back this early to the RGB colorspace ( which isn't a good idea, since the video card does the job much faster ).
Old 3rd January 2006, 21:06   #17  |  Link
3ngel

Quote:
It's not quite what have been said. The issue lies within the renderer, not the decoder.
If the problem would be within the renderer, the brightness matter would verify with *every* decoders decoding the content (comparing in the same VMR9 environment obvioulsy).
But indeed it happens only with FFDShow.
With VMR9 Renderless, ND (and 3vix too i've tested) decoding is faithful to the original source without the brightness altered value.
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 22:01   #18  |  Link
donjuan03

So what about the ipod where I have no control over the rendering settings, how should I accomodate to that?
Old 4th January 2006, 02:15   #19  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

donjuan, add ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC") to the end of the avisynth script, if it is this problem. If it's just a bright backlight maybe you should just lower the movie brightness.

Since you generally need to make specialized encodings for ipod anyway, compared to PC archival versions, you might as well modify the encoding procedure. That is unless anyone knows a better way.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 22:11   #20  |  Link
cjei

i have a similar issue with overlay.
Overlay seems to assume Rec.709 colorimetry for my 1280x720 encodes.

Are we supposed to use Rec.709 for hd encodes ??
cjei is offline   Reply With Quote