Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 27th June 2005, 06:18   #161  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Immediately closing or crashing applications... one possible reason is that you may have placed an AviSynth 2.0x plugin into the auto-load folder of AviSynth 2.5x. Does the "version()" script work well?

Furthermore, I see no reason to rename DGDecode.dll to MPEG2Dec.dll - and I hope you know that d2v project files must always be generated with the same DGIndex.exe that was bundled together with the DGDecode.dll used to open it.
Old 27th June 2005, 10:10   #162  |  Link
savior

it is the dgindex.exe and dgdecode.dll from the dgmpgdec140rc3.zip file i have. it was renamed due to just with avisynth only installed the preview window would not load in megui. i had to manually load the plugin each time for a video. so yes the .dll being used was packaged with the dgindex im using. also the version() does work when loaded into mpc. avisnyth 2.55.
Old 27th June 2005, 10:28   #163  |  Link
bond

i wasnt able to set the paths for mp4box and mencoder in the settings

mencoder.exe and mp4box.exe is simply not displayed to be existing the folder (altough they are of course)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 27th June 2005, 10:34   #164  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
mencoder.exe and mp4box.exe is simply not displayed to be existing the folder (altough they are of course)
The directory filter was set to besweet.exe and mp4.exe respectively.. naturallly mencoder.exe and mp4box.exe don't fall under that filter. Wait a few minutes for 0.2.0.2a
Old 27th June 2005, 10:41   #165  |  Link
bond

i also noticed that you offer mp4, aac to aac, mp3 encoding via besweet

note that besweet doesnt offer aac decoding so you cant use it for reencoding aac (in mp4 or not)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 27th June 2005, 11:54   #166  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Not so much offering as not removing the open filter.. there are tons of caveats when switching between audio output formats.. I doubt I can deal with every possible scenario. Just imagine somebody accessing the audio codec dropdown, selecting mp3 output by mistaken.. and boom.. his configured mp4 input is gone, even though he only selected mp3 by mistake. So, in addition to remove the input filter (that I can do), I'd have to kick out his configured mp4 input.. if he goes back to AAC mode.. the previously loaded mp4 is still gone and will have to be reloaded.. not really ideal, is it?
In auto-mode, since the input is an mp4... it'll be muxed.. the rest of the config won't matter. In the future with AVI output, isInputAVIMuxable() will return false on that stream.. so the stream will be discarded because it wasn't configured properly.

If you have a solution that covers every!! scenario that you think is better than mine, please let me know.
Old 27th June 2005, 12:07   #167  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Alright, the latest build discards mp4/aac input of the first configured track. The second track doesn't really apply because it will never be used (mencoder only supports 1 audio track in mp3).
Old 27th June 2005, 13:37   #168  |  Link
bond

you didnt seem to understand what i mean:

besweet cant decode aac audio so of course also the aac->aac conversion will not work
therefore you cant allow aac/mp4 input in the audio input tab independantly of the output format

edit: btw would be nice if the logs could be moved to a seperate log folder, cause they can get a lot and fill the main folder quickly

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 27th June 2005 at 13:40.
Old 27th June 2005, 15:06   #169  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
you didnt seem to understand what i mean:
Hmm.. you wrote it differently the first time, but you did point out a problem in mp3 mode. Now in mp3 mode as you can see mp4 output is no longer possible.

And as far as mp4 input goes.. did you notice that it's not possible to select an output file when you select an mp4 input? It's also not possible to start encoding with an .aac/.mp4 loaded as audio input. In auto-mode, if your audio input it set to an aac/mp4 file, it will be muxed in the mux step.. no audio encoding will be done. Audio encoding to mp4 is only done if the input is a non aac/mp4 file and the output is an aac/mp4 file.

If that doesn't work as it should please file a bugreport but at least I know it used to work exactly how I want it. I found it rather cumbersome to have to configure audio tracks in a separate window, hence I also allow audio input files that will only be muxed, not encoded, as well as those that will be encoded and muxed (and those that will only be encoded in audio only mode.. pressing queue in the audio groupbox will create just an audio job independent of any other thing you may have configured).

Quote:
edit: btw would be nice if the logs could be moved to a seperate log folder, cause they can get a lot and fill the main folder quickly
Okay, I'll move them to a logs/ subfolder in the MeinGUI folder in the next release (not the one I'm about to release).
Old 27th June 2005, 15:48   #170  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I have a conceptual question, for bond, and everybody else:

Does it make sense that you can configure audio streams to be muxed in the main GUI or should this only be possible in the muxing window?

Right now, you can select .aac/.mp4 audio tracks in the main GUI, then when you press AutoEncode, you configure the final output name, split size, etc. And if you check "Add subtitles & chapters" before pressing GO, you can configure the name of the audio tracks you'll get (be it tracks that will be muxed, or tracks that will be encoded and then muxed), and add additional streams.

To permit configuration of both audio tracks that will be encoded and those that will only be muxed in the main window, I had to go through considerable hoops. Now with the addition of AVI output in auto encoding mode, it might get worse, and conceptually I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to configure audio tracks that are to be muxed, not encoded, in the main GUI which is clearly meant for setting up jobs that are to be encoded.

Thus, what would you think about the following:

In the main GUI in the audio section, you configure audio jobs that are to be encoded. Then if you go into auto-mode, the checkbox you can check to give audio tracks a language, as well as adding subtitle tracks and chapters, will lead you to the mux configuration window where you can not only add a language descriptor to existing audio tracks (those that you set up for encoding in the main GUI), but you'll also be able to add additional existing audio tracks (.aac/.mp4 files for mp4 output).

And in case of AVI output, the additional window will just allow you to specify pre-existing MP3/AC3 audio tracks.

Or simply put: everything that you're going to encode is set up in the main window, everything that you're going to mux is set up in an additional window from within the auto-encode window (and of course the muxing functionality will also be available separately from the tools menu.. the mp4 muxer is already available from that menu today).

I think that way would be cleaner insofar that encoding and muxing are clearly separated. Considering all the work already put into this, it might not really make my life easier at this point, but from a coding point of view at least it would still be a more easy to understand workflow.
Old 27th June 2005, 18:24   #171  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Hmm.. you wrote it differently the first time, but you did point out a problem in mp3 mode. Now in mp3 mode as you can see mp4 output is no longer possible.
Quote:
i didnt only talk about mp3 encoding, but about aac encoding too

Quote:
And as far as mp4 input goes.. did you notice that it's not possible to select an output file when you select an mp4 input? It's also not possible to start encoding with an .aac/.mp4 loaded as audio input. In auto-mode, if your audio input it set to an aac/mp4 file, it will be muxed in the mux step.. no audio encoding will be done. Audio encoding to mp4 is only done if the input is a non aac/mp4 file and the output is an aac/mp4 file.
ah that makes sense and is a great thing

it might be good to disable the config tab too in that case, cause this made me think megui wants to reencode the aac

about the autoencode muxing, its working fine

about the new avc profile setting feature:
- great that you offer this!
- setting custom macroblocks allows using high profile mb even with main and baseline profile
- cqm seems to always be disabled, even when high profile is set
- a feature request: also being able to set the levels (automatically together with the vbv values of the levels) would make the profile/level support complete

one issue i noticed:
when clicking on the config tab megui isnt displayed in the windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen anymore
when closing the config tab it appears again
is that a normal behaviour? it makes switching between megui and eg writing a thread on doom9 (or reading a guide) slightly (!) more difficult

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 27th June 2005, 18:44   #172  |  Link
cheburashka

Feature Request: 1st pass speedup section

@Doom9
I like x264cliGUI 1st pass speedup section. It make 2-3 pass configuration more flexible. It would be nice to have similar options in MeGUI interface.
Old 27th June 2005, 19:08   #173  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I like x264cliGUI 1st pass speedup section. It make 2-3 pass configuration more flexible.
Could you outline this a bit? In fact you already have turbo mode in MeGUI which disables certain options (only during the first pass).. notably it lowers subq, number of reference frames and certain mb options.

@bond: thanks for the feedback on the profiles. Do you have a link about the levels? I took your sticky for that feature but I didn't find anything about buffers (I looked.. I figured buffers most come into play at some point).

Quote:
is that a normal behaviour?
Yup.. I ended up having about 5 windows on top of each other in certain configurations and that simply was too much for me so I started hiding forms.. basically the main GUI is inacessible when you are in a configuration dialog. But, if you know a more userfriendly way.. you can show/hide any form, show or not show it in the taskbar, dynamically set minimize/maximize buttons on form.. you name it. Just tell me how I can make it better.

Quote:
it might be good to disable the config tab too in that case, cause this made me think megui wants to reencode the aac
You mean the config button, right? I guess I could do that but I see the following problem: say a user wants to configure/create/edit an audio profile.. now in order to do that he/she first needs to load an encodeable audio file.. as a counterexample you can configure codecs in both GordianKnot or VirtualDub even if no encodable video source is loaded.. I guess moving the non-encodable audio input selection into a place where it becomes more apparent that they're only being muxed will improve the "straightforwardness". I'll await some more feedback before changing anything though.
Old 27th June 2005, 19:25   #174  |  Link
bond

Quote:
@bond: thanks for the feedback on the profiles. Do you have a link about the levels? I took your sticky for that feature but I didn't find anything about buffers (I looked.. I figured buffers most come into play at some point).
you would need to have a look at the specs (which i link to in the sticky), i dont know anything about the different vbv settings so i dont think i can be much help here

Quote:
Yup.. I ended up having about 5 windows on top of each other in certain configurations and that simply was too much for me so I started hiding forms.. basically the main GUI is inacessible when you are in a configuration dialog. But, if you know a more userfriendly way.. you can show/hide any form, show or not show it in the taskbar, dynamically set minimize/maximize buttons on form.. you name it. Just tell me how I can make it better.
always display the main gui in the taskbar and the others not

Quote:
You mean the config button, right? I guess I could do that but I see the following problem: say a user wants to configure/create/edit an audio profile.. now in order to do that he/she first needs to load an encodeable audio file.. as a counterexample you can configure codecs in both GordianKnot or VirtualDub even if no encodable video source is loaded.. I guess moving the non-encodable audio input selection into a place where it becomes more apparent that they're only being muxed will improve the "straightforwardness". I'll await some more feedback before changing anything though.
maybe you should move the audio muxing to the autoencode tab? after all you can also mux mp3 audio to .mp4 with mp4box, so it might make sense to seperate the reencodeaudio from the muxaudio inputs

or you allow an own switch in the config tab which lets people choose between "mux" and "encode" (encode also offering the codec settings)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 27th June 2005, 19:43   #175  |  Link
Pasqui

@Doom9
So far the only problem I have with MeGUI (now taht x264 progress bar works) is the suggest resolution checkbox in AviSynth sript generator panel. Each time I check it I get the following error:
Code:
System.FormatException: Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect.
   at System.Number.ParseDouble(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
   at MeGUI.AviSynthWindow.suggestResolution_CheckedChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.OnCheckedChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.set_CheckState(CheckState value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CheckBox.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Is it a known issue ?

Regards
Old 27th June 2005, 20:38   #176  |  Link
cheburashka

Quote:
Could you outline this a bit? In fact you already have turbo mode in MeGUI which disables certain options (only during the first pass).. notably it lowers subq, number of reference frames and certain mb options.
This sections would allow you to manually adjust default "turbo" settings and to change me method as well.
See attached image:
Attached Images

Old 28th June 2005, 00:02   #177  |  Link
savior

doom9, after deleting the folder again, starting with your latest version and going back to dgindex 1.30 issue has been fixed. dunno if the fix was local or not but im glad its fixed. thank you for your time and your great program.

job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
this series of jobs starts with an audio job and is followed by regular twopass video jobs
The audio job is named job1-2 the first pass job1-2 and the second pass job1-3
The second pass job has a desired final output size of 734003200 bytes and video bitrate of 700 kbit/s
The audio file size is 113850023 bytes
calculateVideoBitrate(113850023, 734003200, 148299, 4.3, 23.976)
Setting the desired bitrate of the subsequent video jobs to 801 kbit/s
Next job job1-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 801 --stats "2pass.log" --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4 --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "C:\BASKBALL\VIDEO_TS\base.avs"
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-2
Old 28th June 2005, 12:52   #178  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is it a known issue ?
Well.. the AR uses a dot as decimal separator.. I suppose if you were to change the decimal separator in the language settings in the control panel it would work. I think this is the exact same issue as the progress bar, except that there's an ample amount of error catching done in the encoder (hence you just didn't get any status updates.. double parsing would bomb out and that was that) which isn't the case here.

Quote:
This sections would allow you to manually adjust default "turbo" settings and to change me method as well.
I see. Though I'm wondering if this is such a smart thing. Some of those changes might actually have a noticeable impact on the quality of the final product.
Old 28th June 2005, 18:13   #179  |  Link
cheburashka

Quote:
I see. Though I'm wondering if this is such a smart thing. Some of those changes might actually have a noticeable impact on the quality of the final product.
You may put this section in advanced tab, so only people who know what they do will change defaults.
Old 28th June 2005, 18:31   #180  |  Link
cheburashka

Doom9,

You tool is getting more and more mature to be "all in one" frontend.
The only thing I miss is a compressibility test. After that it would be "new GK without VFW."
Closed Thread