Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th June 2005, 14:28   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

MeGUI development

This thread is dedicated to the development of MeGUI. If you don't "speak" C# this is the wrong thread to post in. For generic MeGUI problems refer to the main MeGUI thread

You can get the source code from Sourceforge

And here is the current TODO list
Old 12th June 2005, 04:51   #2  |  Link
celtic_druid

C# didn't seem all that hard last time I had a go at it.

I think next mencoder compile I will just disable pthreads or at least now that I know it is autodetected under mingw I will pack the dll. I couldn't get it to encode with threads > 1 for libavc though. With ffmpeg it works fine.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 07:28   #3  |  Link
berrinam

I don't know if anyone noticed, but MeGUI seems to only have 4 of the 5 macroblock motion estimation modes for x264 (the i4x4 checkbox is missing, and the p4x4 checkbox actually enables i4x4, so p4x4 can't be enabled). I don't know what is going on with this, but I wrote a patch based on the sources Doom9 posted recently. I know that Doom9 is planning to rewrite a lot of the code, so I noted all the changes I made so that I (or someone else) can make them again on the new version. It is included in the sourcecode. Anyone interested?

I've attached the compiled version and the sources.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 13:37   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@berrinam: actually, I don't find an i4x4 option in the mencoder documentation. but it's there in x264 so I'll use it. I also noted that you tied the options together the way they should be so I'll definitely use it.

Quote:
Just a guess without checking
Nope, definitely not.. the Belgian locale uses the same decimal separator as the German one.. and you're not getting 25000 fps video, are you?
Old 12th June 2005, 18:21   #5  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
actually, I don't find an i4x4 option in the mencoder documentation.
I added it to mencoder at the same time as I added i8x8.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 19:20   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

since I'm apparently struck by blindness.. what's the option and default value?
Old 12th June 2005, 20:59   #7  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

the option is 'i4x4' or 'noi4x4', and the default is 'i4x4'.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 02:38   #8  |  Link
xtknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
alright here goes:
speed up d2v preview when cropping. Basically I overwrite a bunch of pixels with white when cropping. I do that looping over pixels over the frame. There's a much more efficient way working with images.. it's to freeze the bitmap into memory, then consider it a byte array with each pixel being followed by each other. Since we're dealing with 24 bit images, you have sets of 3 bytes that make up one color.. first comes B, then G, then R. So, instead of the 4 loops, there could be one, and pixels could be set to a color by changing bytes in the byte array. Then when done, unlock the image again.

This could also be used for auto-crop.

And all of that is staying in the managed domain, without even having to resort to pointers. I'll attach a sample (that uses unsafe code.. but it gets you the basics) here.

Once the GUI is done, it could be extended to support multiple zones (taken from the preview window.. with a start and end button).

Then there's AVI support in auto mode. mencoder can be used to mux (vbr)mp3 and ac3 into an AVI (this would obviously require besweet configuration for mp3 output).

Then of course there's lots of lavc and xvid options that are unsupported.. but I guess somebody should ask for a specific option first.

Then of course there's the matter of the progress bar for mp4 muxing (you'll find some starter points in the mp4muxer class.. I never quite finished it.. and with x264.exe support, mp4box might act a bit different if your video input is also an mp4).

And while we're with mp4box.. now that it supports language tags of course that's something (support starts with the d2v creator.. rather than to have a checked listbox I guess having two dropdowns listing all languages would be good.. and if there's no info file, a selection like track1/2/etc could be used).

D2V Creator: tracks selected for demux should be filled in as audio source in the main GUI.

One click mode: select .ifo/vob, pick audio track, audio and video profile and hit go.. a lot of code to enable this is already there but it needs to be tied together.

Last but not least, if bond can confirm that libavformat's mp4 muxing is okay for ASP, perhaps we could offer direct mp4 output for xvid/lavc using mencoder.

And yet another one: the x264cli encoder should get the video bitrate (encoder tells you at the end), and from that derive the mp4 overhead and save it to the mp4stats file (and since direct mp4 output is now possible, I guess the mp4stats in the mp4 muxer will have to be adapted to take mp4 video input into account).
Though I'm very unfamiliar with DVDs I could probably help you do that. The only thing I'm unfamiliar with/don't know a thing about is the d2v resizing thing...not sure what that is...if you explain it more I could catch on fairly easy...

You just want me to modify that posted source or is there a later version at this time? I have decent knowledge of .NET languages and a little C++. My understanding is you just want this in .NET though right? I'd be very excited to be able to help.

You mentioned you were doing a GUI redo...should I wait?

- xtknight

Last edited by xtknight; 13th June 2005 at 03:21.
xtknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 08:23   #9  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

about the d2v: have a look at the avisynth creator form.. check out what happens if you change the crop values. Basically it does this: start at the first line, iterate over every pixel and set its color to white, go to the next line, set color to white, etc. until you've reached the number of pixels to be cropped away from the top.

The same is done at the right, left, and bottom. Doing it that way, I'm effectively marking certain pixels twice (and since assigning a color to a pixel is slow, this is a major waste of time)

A better way would be to consider the image to be an array of bytes (pixel1x1-blue, pixel1x1-green, pixel1x1-red, pixel1x2-blue, pixel1x2-green, pixel1x2-red, pixel1x3-blue, etc). If you look up the class definition of Bitmap, you'll see that you can lock and unlock the image in memory, and from the IntPtr you get, you can treat it as an array of byte and do this whole operation much more effectively (white = [255, 255, 255]). If that's not enough info, check the source and the example I posted on page 40.

You can safely start with the AviSynth window.. that one's good for now. Progress bar for mp4 muxing is also something you could work on, it doesn't depend on the GUI changes that are currently in the works. The bitrate calculation for AVI muxing could also be done, as well as the AVI muxer itself (just don't integrate it into the main form yet.. that's the one that is being totally revamped). So basically, anything that doesn't touch the main form is okay to be started right now.

oh, and by the way, C# isn't a must.. if you write your own class and are more familiar with say C++, it's alright with me. I know C++, but C# seems like a more straightforward language to me.

Quote:
Is it just me, or is the version you posted v0.1914?
Nope, I forgot to update the exe. And I'm having a major mess in my head with the version numbers myself.. and the fact that the forum refused to let me attach the latest version didn't really help reducing my confusion.
Old 13th June 2005, 09:39   #10  |  Link
berrinam

For anyone who didn't notice, v0.193 is now available at http://forum.doom9.org/MeGUI-0.193.zip

@Doom9, I'm also happy to help with MeGUI. Will you post sources for subsequent versions, or should I just use the old sources?
Old 13th June 2005, 09:58   #11  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@berrinam: I will post the sources. Above I have listed the work that can start right now using the latest published sources. Since I've taken it upon myself to rearrange the GUI, it would currently not make a lot of sense to release sources that contain half-finished features that I'm going to finish in the next few days (I hope to get quite far today after work). But as you can see from the latest version, a lot has already been done. Once I'm all done, it will become much easier to make changes as the code is more separated into specific modules. I've already reduced the size of the main class from more than 400KB to 180KB and there's more to come. I also want to move out a lot of the logic to other classes, thus enabling more people to work on the program concurrently without stepping on each other's toes.
Doom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 23:07   #12  |  Link
xtknight

Doom9:

OK I'm not sure about the AVI muxer...I got real close but I still can't get the damned thing to work.

Does MP4Box show progress? Is there some verbose option? I didn't see any progress bar when I was muxing a video but maybe I'm just blind.

So this d2v crop is for the preview window?

For the grayscale code:
I'm not sure if this would qualify as safe or unsafe, but I got it off of MSDN:

PHP Code:
// Get the address of the first line.
IntPtr ptr bmpData.Scan0;
// Copy the RGB values into the array.
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.Copy(ptrrgbValues0bytes);
// Copy the RGB values back to the bitmap
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.Copy(rgbValues0ptrbytes); 
That code is unsafe, correct, even though there are no * pointers, per se? Unfortunately, I think this is one weakness of safe code...it's just not fast enough. The ideal thing to do would be to use assembler, with optimizations up to SSE3, which I don't know but I imagine there's some grayscale code out there. (Though even without the optimizations it would still be a lot faster.) You'd do this by calling a COM DLL coded with inline assembly in C++. Just wondering...what's the advantage of using safe code over unsafe? The 'safe' code gets turned into assembly later, anyway...I mean as long as you have sufficient error-catching there's no need to rely on managed code IMO. You said you didn't mind if it was coded in C++, but essentially that's the same as the unsafe C# code you have there...so...unless there's a faster safe way of doing it you're stuck there...or if that code I posted above is infact "safened" by .NET...

Evidently I haven't dealt with this stuff too much...so that's why I was skeptical of whether I could do this or not. Guess I'll go do the other stuff. And just out of curiosity what is the grayscale function used for?

Last edited by xtknight; 14th June 2005 at 01:42.
xtknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 02:56   #13  |  Link
berrinam

I'm just as confused as xtknight. I don't see how you can optimize the code as much as you say without making it unsafe. Anyway, I have rewritten the crop function with pointers (I presume this makes it unsafe) to see if this is what you mean. I'm using argb because it makes it easier just to read in an integer. I've also written some similar code (but longer) for the autocrop function, but I'm not including that here.

Code:
private void cropImage(ref Bitmap b)
{
	BitmapData image = b.LockBits(new Rectangle(0, 0, b.width, b.height), ImageLockMode.WriteOnly, PixelFormat.Format32bppArgb)
	int* pointer = image.Scan0.ToPointer();
	int* pixel;
	int stride = image.Stride;
	int white = Color.white.ToArgb()
	int lineGap = stride - (4*b.width);
	int centerJump = b.width - left - right;

pixel = pointer;
	for (int j = 0; j < top; j++) {
		for (int i = 0; i < b.Width; i++) {
			*pixel = white;
			pixel++;
		}
		pixel += lineGap;
	}

for (int j = top; j < b.Height - bottom; j++)
	{
		for (int i = 0; i < left; i++) {
			*pixel = white;
			pixel++;
		}
		pixel += centerJump;
		for (int i = 0; i < right; i++) {
			*pixel = white;
			pixel++;
		}
		pixel += lineGap;
	}
	for (int j = b.Height-bottom; j < b.Height; j++)
	{
		for (int i = 0; i < b.Width; i++)
		{
			*pixel = white;
			pixel++;
		}
		pixel += lineGap;
	}
	b.UnlockBits(image);
}
Old 14th June 2005, 07:00   #14  |  Link
stax76

you don't have to manipulate images unless you are having fun with it . My code is fast and can crop and scale. See it in the latest DVX version in action. For my crop dialog I want to borrow a idea of Recode but for now I'm working on Stax DVB but I'll try to give you some competion with my DVX successor later

Code:
using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.IO;
using System.Drawing.Imaging;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Reflection;
using System.Diagnostics;

namespace VFW
{
	public class AVIFile
	{
		public int Left, Top, Right, Bottom;

IntPtr AviFile;
		IntPtr FrameObject;
		IntPtr AviStream;
		AVISTREAMINFO StreamInfo;
		Control Control;

int FrameCountValue;

public int FrameCount
		{
			get { return FrameCountValue; }
		}

public float FrameRate
		{
			get { return StreamInfo.dwRate / (float)StreamInfo.dwScale; }
		}

public Size FrameSize
		{
			get { return new Size((int)StreamInfo.rcFrame.right, (int)StreamInfo.rcFrame.bottom); }
		}

public void Open(string fileName, Control c)
		{
			Open(fileName);

Control = c;
		}

string GetFourCC(int value)
		{
			byte[] bytes = BitConverter.GetBytes(value);
			char[] chars = new char[4];

for (int i = 0; i < bytes.Length; i++)
				chars[i] = Convert.ToChar(bytes[i]);

return new String(chars);
		}

public void Open(string fileName)
		{
			try
			{
				AVIFileInit();

int OF_SHARE_DENY_WRITE = 32;

int result = AVIFileOpen(ref AviFile, fileName,
					OF_SHARE_DENY_WRITE, 0);

if (result != 0)
					throw new Exception("AVIFileOpen failed");

result = AVIFileGetStream(AviFile, out AviStream,
					1935960438 /*FourCC for vids*/, 0);

if (result != 0)
					throw new Exception("AVIFileGetStream failed");

FrameCountValue = AVIStreamLength(AviStream.ToInt32());

StreamInfo = new AVISTREAMINFO();

result = AVIStreamInfo(AviStream.ToInt32(), ref StreamInfo,
					Marshal.SizeOf(StreamInfo));

if (result != 0)
					throw new Exception("AVIStreamInfo failed");

if (GetFourCC(Convert.ToInt32(StreamInfo.fccHandler)) == "YV12")
					FrameObject = AVIStreamGetFrameOpen(AviStream, 1);
				else
					FrameObject = AVIStreamGetFrameOpen(AviStream, 0);

if (FrameObject == IntPtr.Zero) 
					throw new Exception("AVIStreamGetFrameOpen failed");
			}
			catch (Exception ex)
			{
				MessageBox.Show("An error occurred. Maybe no YV12 decoder available, installing XviD, DivX or ffdshow might help.\r\n\r\n" +
					ex.ToString(), Application.ProductName,
					MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
			}
		}

int PositionValue;

public int Position 
		{
			get { return PositionValue; }
			set 
			{
				if (value < 0)
					PositionValue = 0;
				else if (value > FrameCount - 1)
					PositionValue = FrameCount - 1;
				else
					PositionValue = value;
			}
		}

public void Close()
		{
			if (FrameObject != IntPtr.Zero)
			{
				AVIStreamGetFrameClose(FrameObject);
				FrameObject = IntPtr.Zero;
			}

if (AviStream != IntPtr.Zero)
			{
				AVIStreamRelease(AviStream);
				AviStream = IntPtr.Zero;
			}

if (AviFile != IntPtr.Zero)
			{
				AVIFileRelease(AviFile);
				AviFile = IntPtr.Zero;
			}

AVIFileExit();
		}

public void Draw()
		{
			if (Control != null && Control.Visible)
			{
				Graphics g = Control.CreateGraphics();
				Draw(g);
				g.Dispose();			
			}
		}

int DrawCount = 0;

public void Draw(Graphics g)
		{
			try
			{
				if (Control != null && Control.Visible && FrameObject != IntPtr.Zero)
				{
					Debug.WriteLine(++DrawCount);

Image img = GetBMPFromDib(new IntPtr(
						AVIStreamGetFrame(FrameObject, Position)));

if (Left == 0 && Top == 0 && Right == 0 && Bottom == 0)
					{
						g.DrawImage(img, Control.ClientRectangle);
					}
					else
					{
						float factorX = (float)Control.Width / img.Width;
						float factorY = (float)Control.Height / img.Height;

float left = Left * factorX;
						float right = Right * factorX;
						float top = Top * factorY;
						float bottom = Bottom * factorY;

RectangleF rectDest = new RectangleF();

rectDest.X = left;
						rectDest.Y = top;
						rectDest.Width = Control.Width - left - right;
						rectDest.Height = Control.Height - top - bottom;

Rectangle rectSrc = new Rectangle();

rectSrc.X = Left;
						rectSrc.Y = Top;
						rectSrc.Width = img.Width - Left - Right;
						rectSrc.Height = img.Height - Top - Bottom;

g.DrawImage(img, rectDest, rectSrc,	GraphicsUnit.Pixel);

SolidBrush sb = new SolidBrush(Color.White);

g.FillRectangle(sb, 0, 0, left, Control.Height);
						g.FillRectangle(sb, 0, 0, Control.Width, top);
						g.FillRectangle(sb, Control.Width - right, 0, right, Control.Height);
						g.FillRectangle(sb, 0, Control.Height - bottom, Control.Width, bottom);

sb.Dispose();
					}
				}			
			}
			catch (Exception ex)
			{
				MessageBox.Show("An error occurred. Maybe no YV12 decoder available, installing XviD, DivX or ffdshow might help.\r\n\r\n" +
					ex.ToString(), Application.ProductName,
					MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
			}
		}

public Bitmap GetBitmap()
		{
			return GetBMPFromDib(new IntPtr(
				AVIStreamGetFrame(FrameObject, Position)));
		}

public Bitmap GetBMPFromDib(IntPtr pDIB) {
			IntPtr pPix = new IntPtr(pDIB.ToInt32() + Marshal.SizeOf(typeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER)));

MethodInfo mi = typeof(Bitmap).GetMethod("FromGDIplus", 
				BindingFlags.Static | BindingFlags.NonPublic);

IntPtr pBmp = IntPtr.Zero;
			int status = GdipCreateBitmapFromGdiDib(pDIB, pPix, ref pBmp);

return (Bitmap)mi.Invoke(null, new object[] {pBmp});
		}

[DllImport("gdi32.dll", ExactSpelling=true)]
		static extern bool DeleteObject( IntPtr obj );

[DllImport("gdiplus.dll", ExactSpelling=true)]
		static extern int GdipCreateBitmapFromGdiDib( IntPtr bminfo, IntPtr pixdat, ref IntPtr image );

static extern int GdipCreateHBITMAPFromBitmap( IntPtr image, out IntPtr hbitmap, int bkg );

static extern int GdipDisposeImage( IntPtr image );

[DllImport("avifil32.dll")]
		static extern void AVIFileInit();

[DllImport("avifil32.dll", PreserveSig=true)]
		static extern int AVIFileOpen(
			ref IntPtr ppfile,
			String szFile,
			int uMode,
			int pclsidHandler);

static extern int AVIFileGetStream(
			IntPtr pfile,
			out IntPtr ppavi,
			int fccType,
			int lParam);

static extern int AVIStreamStart(int pavi);

static extern int AVIStreamLength(int pavi);

static extern int AVIStreamInfo(
			int pAVIStream,
			ref AVISTREAMINFO psi,
			int lSize);

static extern IntPtr AVIStreamGetFrameOpen(
			IntPtr pAVIStream,
			int lpbiWanted);

static extern int AVIStreamGetFrame(IntPtr pGetFrameObj, int lPos);

static extern int AVIFileCreateStream(
			int pfile,
			out IntPtr ppavi, 
			ref AVISTREAMINFO ptr_streaminfo);

static extern int AVIStreamGetFrameClose(
			IntPtr pGetFrameObj);

static extern int AVIStreamRelease(IntPtr aviStream);

static extern int AVIFileRelease(IntPtr pfile);

static extern void AVIFileExit();

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, Pack=1)]
			struct RECT { 
			public UInt32 left; 
			public UInt32 top; 
			public UInt32 right; 
			public UInt32 bottom; 
		} 		

[StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential, CharSet=CharSet.Ansi, Pack=1)]
			struct BITMAPFILEHEADER {
			[MarshalAs( UnmanagedType.ByValArray, SizeConst=2)] 
			public Char[]	Type;
			public Int32	Size;
			public Int16	reserved1;
			public Int16	reserved2;
			public Int32	OffBits;
		}

struct BITMAPINFOHEADER {
			public UInt32 biSize;
			public Int32  biWidth;
			public Int32  biHeight;
			public Int16  biPlanes;
			public Int16  biBitCount;
			public UInt32 biCompression;
			public UInt32 biSizeImage;
			public Int32  biXPelsPerMeter;
			public Int32  biYPelsPerMeter;
			public UInt32 biClrUsed;
			public UInt32 biClrImportant;
		}

struct AVISTREAMINFO {
			public UInt32    fccType;
			public UInt32    fccHandler;
			public UInt32    dwFlags;
			public UInt32    dwCaps;
			public UInt16    wPriority;
			public UInt16    wLanguage;
			public UInt32    dwScale;
			public UInt32    dwRate;
			public UInt32    dwStart;
			public UInt32    dwLength;
			public UInt32    dwInitialFrames;
			public UInt32    dwSuggestedBufferSize;
			public UInt32    dwQuality;
			public UInt32    dwSampleSize;
			public RECT		 rcFrame;
			public UInt32    dwEditCount;
			public UInt32    dwFormatChangeCount;
			[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.ByValArray, SizeConst=64)]
			public UInt16[]    szName;
		}
	}
}
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 08:35   #15  |  Link
berrinam

@stax: I understand what you mean. What about autocropping? Have you got any code that does that quickly?
Old 14th June 2005, 08:36   #16  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

about safe/unsafe: I guess when you start using IntPtr it's essentually unsafe.. but basically I was concerned with having to use the unsafe flag for compilation and mark sections as unsafe. IntPtr, from my perspective, is basically a safe pointer and you don't have to worry about cleaning up the memory (that's my main gripe with unmanaged languages.. memory management.. ).

and I can do two passes with x264.exe just fine (that's one of the few things I actually tested in this build.. keep in mind it's alpha code)
Old 14th June 2005, 08:44   #17  |  Link
berrinam

So where does that leave the whole situation with cropping, then? And how important is speeding up of cropping?
Old 14th June 2005, 10:19   #18  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
So where does that leave the whole situation with cropping, then?
I can't execute the code now, but it's pretty much what I was trying to describe. So if it works as it should we're good in that department. The autocrop you mentioned you had written in that style will also come in handy. As far as importance is concerned.. nobody has complained so far, and I think the performance bottleneck should be eliminated with your code and you can move to the next item on my list

Quote:
Does MP4Box show progress?
Yes it does. If you look at the mp4muxer class you see I'm already reading it.. I'm just not sending any statusupdates. My problem was that at some point during import. mp4box seems to run off, no longer waiting for me to read from stdout. So to reliably figure out when the next stream is being imported, you'll probably have to compare percentage values.

And as far as avi muxing is concerned, just use mencoder.. it can just mux a single stream, but supports cbr/vbr mp3 and AC3. I think that'll do just fine for now.

Quote:
Does MeGUI really use the wrong parameter "i8x8mv" which really should be "i8x8"?
Yes it does.. sorry about that. So before encoding, close MeGUI, open the xml files in question and edit the commandline, save them, restart MeGUI and start the jobs in the queue.
Old 14th June 2005, 14:15   #19  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
What about autocropping? Have you got any code that does that quickly?
I'm always tying to get with simple solutions therefore I'm parsing the output file of the auto crop AviSynth filter, I was always very satisfied with this method, needless to say it was a easy to implement it. If you like to you can write this in managed code but there is already managed code for this simply because C++ code can be compiled to IL. It's called managed extensions and the greatly improved successor is called C++/CLR. It's absolutely great for almost all interop tasks, more productive, more flexible and a lot easier as you only have to incude header files and it performs as well faster as normal interop, I use C++/CLR extensively in Stax DVB and for other projects. Besides that you have of course always a couple of other interop options like COM interop and P/Invoke.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 16:39   #20  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. I looked at DVX before doing my autocrop.. and ended up looking at GKnot for a "do it on your own solution". But if berrinam rewrote my autocrop based on the methods used in the preview cropping, it's going to be a lot faster than the current method (that still iterates over the image and does getPixel).

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread