Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2005, 07:48   #101  |  Link
freelock7
High beam

Sad...
Only DVDdecrypter could rip The forgotten movie with its new arcOos protection!
For the future, rip guard is coming with the terrific digital code created by Macrovision .
Great challenge to replace DVDdecrypter but with the risk to be prosecuted.
Who will be able -and brave!-to do it?
freelock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 07:55   #102  |  Link
castellanos

Quote:
Originally posted by freelock7
Only DVDdecrypter could rip The forgotten movie with its new arcOos protection!
This is not true, AnyDVD or DVD Region+CSS Free can handle it too, and even DVD43 (not really sure).
I would say: DVD Decrypter was the only "free" tool able to do that.
Cheers!

Last edited by castellanos; 10th June 2005 at 10:41.
castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 08:04   #103  |  Link
freelock7
High beam

-Castellanos
Yes, but will these commercial softwares be able to work still a long time against the laws in a shelter place?
Another question:
Who will be able to rip its original DVD in these conditions?

Last edited by freelock7; 10th June 2005 at 08:25.
freelock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 10:41   #104  |  Link
castellanos

hm... good question freelock7... I ask my self the same.
However, the laws are different in every country, the fate of LINGHNTING UK! in England belongs at the moment only there, probably it could not happened in another country.
As long as the laws allow them, AnyDVD or DVD Region+CSS Free are going to be alive in their respective country (U.S.A?) and also, we are going to be able to use them.
Greetings!
castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 15:18   #105  |  Link
jwo62

Dvd95copy can also rip arccos discs. Its not free,but for about the same price as anydvd,it also processes/shrinks(with many options) and burns.

That said,I am now also looking closely at anydvd and DVD Region+CSS Free. I dont like having all my eggs in one basket.
jwo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 18:33   #106  |  Link
absinthe

Personally, I'm anxious for someone to take a crack at RipGuard. I don't suppose it's on any major commercial DVD releases at present. I was just reading about RipGuard at Macrovision's site. They sure do sound confident in it.

The more I think about the Macrovision scenario, the more I think they are the company to blame here.

-abs
Old 10th June 2005, 18:43   #107  |  Link
mrslacker
Junior Slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by freelock7
For the future, rip guard is coming with the terrific digital code created by Macrovision .
Great challenge to replace DVDdecrypter but with the risk to be prosecuted.
Who will be able -and brave!-to do it?
I think ripping and copy protection removal should be somewhat mutually exclusive. Let the rippers do their job on CSS and avoiding bad sectors. Once the files are off disc, appropriate IFO/VOB patching could be done in a separate step (with a separate program). The ripguard framework description is pretty vague, but it seems to be nothing terribly unique, as they claim. Bring it on.

Princeton professor Edward Telten has an optimistic take on RipGuard. I agree with him... provided that ripping programs become more like DVD players. Imagine a ripping program that exhaustively navigates the disc, as a player would. Most pitfalls of blind ripping would be avoided. Other reauthoring problems would remain, but I see that as a place for less mainstream "protection management" / "standards compliance" / "compatibility assurance" tools.

Comprehensive disc analysis routines are already present in programs like VobBlanker and PgcEdit. Searching for unreferenced material and navigational impossibilities is not exactly a lingering challenge, thanks to the authors. The later program even has a habit of pointing out subtle discrepancies and authoring errors. Of course, these tools have nothing to do with copy protection, and I wouldn't want to imply any such functionality of those tools. This is just an example.

Point is: I believe that this is the "end of an era", as LIGHTNING UK! suggested. Fair use and progress will not stop, but the workflow definitely will.

Last edited by mrslacker; 10th June 2005 at 21:57.
mrslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 01:15   #108  |  Link
wild77

Long Live Decrypting!

LIGHTNING UK! Thanks for one of the best programs I have ever used, and will continue to use.We need more people that are as dedicated as you have been! It may have been a free program (well worth my donations) but I never had a problem and it never let me down. If only the major software companies could develope software that worked so well.I have been fooling with some of the other Rippers and none can compare to DVD Decrypter!

Best of luck to you!

S***W SONY
S***W MACROVISION
S***W Who ever is putting the SCREWS TO YOU!
wild77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 14:48   #109  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Quote:
I was just reading about RipGuard at Macrovision's site. They sure do sound confident in it.
Well if they're the ones threatening LightningUK, the only thing they seem confident about is that he would crack it in weeks Otherwise, why bring him down now (or anytime for that matter, if the thing is going to be uncrackable)?
In a way, it's a great compliment done to you LUK, you are feared. Of course, if these people who threatened you had half the wits of a bluebottle fly, they would have offered you an extremely highly paid job, instead of trying to sue you for probably the amount of money a small country generates in a year (I guess)

Ayway, > 16000 views already, quite an impressive amount of support in general

Is there a place one can donate so as to provide a lawyer for LightningUk or something? I'd like to help
Old 11th June 2005, 15:18   #110  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
I think ripping and copy protection removal should be somewhat mutually exclusive. Let the rippers do their job on CSS and avoiding bad sectors. Once the files are off disc, appropriate IFO/VOB patching could be done in a separate step (with a separate program).
all in one go though would save extra steps and hassles. obviously having it optional would be the way to go though incase any dvds were to crop up that were not handled correctly. you may want to read what i say here anyway
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=63339&page=2
Old 11th June 2005, 17:45   #111  |  Link
calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by niamh
In a way, it's a great compliment done to you LUK, you are feared. Of course, if these people who threatened you had half the wits of a bluebottle fly, they would have offered you an extremely highly paid job, instead of trying to sue you for probably the amount of money a small country generates in a year (I guess)
Perhaps they did! Or perhaps they purchased the rights to the program. We know nothing about this legal action! Consider the potential lure of a corporate offer vs. maybe 1/1000 users sending in $10 or $20 to support your development efforts!

This is a good argument for releasing open source; it insures software developers against any future pacts with the devil
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2005, 18:17   #112  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I would not write off DVD Decrypter's continued usefulness just yet. As Doom9 has reported today: -
Quote:
....However, a while back, PS lists were introduced, and it just takes the proper PS file to beat future versions of "structure protection" (from an engineering point of view we're not dealing with protection but perversion of the specs).
So all we need are some forum enthusiasts who know how to code the relevant "Protected Sector" file and we're back in business

Cheers
Old 11th June 2005, 18:48   #113  |  Link
mrslacker
Junior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
So all we need are some forum enthusiasts who know how to code the relevant "Protected Sector" file and we're back in business
blutach basically said that earlier in the thread, and i agree that approach will prolong DVD-D for quite some time.

But what about protection tricks introduced that are not based on bad sectors? The RipGuard "Unique Digital Framework" I linked to a few posts up seems to indicate they have plans to mess with the integrity of the disc on many levels. Maybe.
Old 11th June 2005, 19:46   #114  |  Link
mpucoder

Well, we will just have to wait and see.
One of the mistakes made with DVD was not giving the command set enough power. When floppies were protected by the method Arccos uses (bad sectors) simply removing them, or correcting them, did not work because the protected program could check to see if a key sector was unreadable. That cannot be done in a DVD, the only way to access a sector is to attempt to play it. And the reaction to unreadable sectors is not standardized, but most players stop, some display a code. Nor can the command set check the size, which would indicate a shrunken/modified copy. Nor can it perform a checksum. In short, there is not much that can be done to make it both uncopyable and watchable.

oh, and Macrovision is usually full of hot air. I don't understand how they continue to exist. I mean, If I wanted something protected, I would also want a guarantee that the method was at least worth the cost. They don't offer that, and can't because Macrovision has never prevented any movie from being pirated.

Last edited by mpucoder; 11th June 2005 at 19:51.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 00:43   #115  |  Link
Malphas

Looks like someone is hoping to cash in on the demise of Decrypter.

http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=98
Malphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 00:51   #116  |  Link
mpucoder

Who is he trying to fool? "I lost all my programmers" and "I'm looking for a wide range of people including reverse engineer" should be enough to convince anyone that this is not the original author.

But, then again, P. T. Barnum was probably right.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 01:53   #117  |  Link
geoffman

ah-huh........
geoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 06:08   #118  |  Link
mrslacker
Junior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpucoder
oh, and Macrovision is usually full of hot air. I don't understand how they continue to exist. I mean, If I wanted something protected, I would also want a guarantee that the method was at least worth the cost. They don't offer that, and can't because Macrovision has never prevented any movie from being pirated.
Yeah, they're a b.s. company. It's really quite amazing. Still, once a few years ago, my girlfriend and I wanted to watch her Bridget Jones DVD on my VCR. So we tried to make an analog copy for the night. Thank's to "ACP" that didn't work out. It didn't take long to trace the ætiology of the problem and correct it, but it still got in the way.

These companies target the masses - Dumb asses like me and my girlfriend. But that doesn't concern us much any more. Right?

I'm glad you are hopeful, mpucoder. You certainly have an intimate perspective, having written your own authoring program.

After all, maybe it's just Britain... and we have the EFF on our side.

Last edited by mrslacker; 12th June 2005 at 06:12.
mrslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 10:20   #119  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheSheep
Well, I personally don't flame that nameless company (I mean, if my future depended on an encryption, and all I do is encounter people trying to destroy and circumvent my best efforts, making them for naught, what would I do?
So who says that you as a company have any more RIGHTS to demand a constant revenue from your product than anyone else? If you saddled the wrong horse tough luck for you!

The only reason I could accept was the law itself. And even that doesn't hold true anymore since the entertainment industry managed to buy them in their favor depriving us from our fair rights use.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2005, 11:37   #120  |  Link
hhanh00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
I would not write off DVD Decrypter's continued usefulness just yet. As Doom9 has reported today: - So all we need are some forum enthusiasts who know how to code the relevant "Protected Sector" file and we're back in business

Cheers
It's not as easy as it seems. AFAIK, Arccos use a fairly rigid structure where the first 3 cells of the main movie are bad sectors. You can skip them and rebuild the IFO. If instead, you use a scheme where some random cells contain bad sectors but are yet referrenced by some unreachable program chain, it becomes difficult to figure out how to recognize them. The DVD instruction set contains registers and conditional jumps, so it's quite easy to make a innocent looking PGC be unreachable.
hhanh00 is offline   Reply With Quote