Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 20th April 2005, 15:44   #1  |  Link
bcsman

Problem burning MPEG2 file to DVD

Hopefully I have this in the correct area, so many to chose from!!

I am having some real problems so I'm here to ask the experts for help!! I have a DVB satellite card and burned a movie to my hard drive. It saved it in an MPEG2 format. It plays well on WinDVD but I'd like to save to a DVD. I have TMPGE DVD Author and was going to convert the MPEG2 file to DVD and burn it. However when I tried to add the file to author it I got these errors:

1) Video resolution 544 X 480 cannot be used for DVD.
2) Video framerate 29.97 fps cannot be used with the resolution 544 X 480.
3) Video bitrate 15000 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

So I found another program X Video Converter and did the trial version. It loaded the MPEG2 file and 6 hours later converted it to 3 files .mpg, .m2v, and .mpa. I then tried to load either of the .mpg or .m2v files in TMPEG and it gave me this error:

1) The video bitrate 29651 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

OK I've tried to do my research but obviously need some help. How do I convert this MPEG2 file to something I can burn on a DVD?? I think the resolution it's looking for in NTSC is 720 X 480. Would really appreciate your expertise here!! Thanks in advance!!
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 17:24   #2  |  Link
video
moron

Re: Problem burning MPEG2 file to DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by bcsman
Hopefully I have this in the correct area, so many to chose from!!

I am having some real problems so I'm here to ask the experts for help!! I have a DVB satellite card and burned a movie to my hard drive. It saved it in an MPEG2 format. It plays well on WinDVD but I'd like to save to a DVD. I have TMPGE DVD Author and was going to convert the MPEG2 file to DVD and burn it. However when I tried to add the file to author it I got these errors:

1) Video resolution 544 X 480 cannot be used for DVD.
2) Video framerate 29.97 fps cannot be used with the resolution 544 X 480.
3) Video bitrate 15000 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

So I found another program X Video Converter and did the trial version. It loaded the MPEG2 file and 6 hours later converted it to 3 files .mpg, .m2v, and .mpa. I then tried to load either of the .mpg or .m2v files in TMPEG and it gave me this error:

1) The video bitrate 29651 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

OK I've tried to do my research but obviously need some help. How do I convert this MPEG2 file to something I can burn on a DVD?? I think the resolution it's looking for in NTSC is 720 X 480. Would really appreciate your expertise here!! Thanks in advance!!
there are stuff such as pvainstrumento, but i dunno what kind of mpeg do you have? You have recorded ATSC or DVB? But probably you will find answers in the "HDTV / DVB / TiVo" sub forum.
Old 22nd April 2005, 19:56   #3  |  Link
nnigam

I convert my hd streams to dvd with the following steps.

1. Usd dgindex to create a d2v file and an ac3 audio file
2. Use avsynth script to resize to 720x480 (test in vdubmod)
3. use quenc to create m2v file. Need to set bit rate to max of 9000 in advanced settings page. Default makes bit rates too high to author. On first page I set to about 7000
4. Use mpeg2schnitt to cut if needed (did not need to do this yet so cannot confirm)
5. use muxman to create dvd
6. Use imagetools to burn dvd

My dvd's are perfect, play on my pc dvd as well as set top dvd player.
Old 23rd April 2005, 23:53   #4  |  Link
bcsman

Thanks guys for the replies. But these are not HD streams I'm recording just standard Dishnet video streams which my computer records at 540 X 480 which I'd never heard of.

nnigam, would your method which you desribed in your post also work on a non HD stream??
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 13:46   #5  |  Link
nnigam

I do not see why they should not. You may have to use a different demuxer since I do not know about dgindex and analog streams. As far as I know, it works with mpeg streams.

My analog captures are all avi's so I just reencode with vdub to a smaller avi with the desired screen resolution so they fit on one cd.

I would use vdub to demux the audio, ac2machine to convert to ac3, avisynth to convert to proper size, 720x480 for ntsc dvd, and encode to m2v format using quenc, nuenc or hc encoder. Use dgpulldown if needed to convert the framerate to 29.97 for ntsc dvd if needeed. Then you should be able to generate a dvd from them.

I also tried mpeg2schnitt for cutting the video, but got audio synch errors due to the audio delay in the audio extracted by dgindex. I tried it both before dgpulldown as well as after to no avail. Looking at the streams, My video was at 23.976 and audio at 31.5. Somehow they encode perfectly when I use dgpulldown to convert to 29.97 and mux with muxman. But no matter how I do it after cutting with mpeg2schnitt, audio is out of synch. I even tried delay cutter to cut out the delay and still had audio synch errors.