Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 5th January 2005, 21:05   #1  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Std-Def/Hi-Def: Media Streaming Devices

I don't know about you guys but I've got a feeling that this year, we are all going to see a lot of activity with regard to "media streaming devices"!

ie: Devices that connect directly to your TV and/or PC monitor!

With this in mind, some of you may be interested in the following: -

The ADS Media-Link, even offers component video and electrical digital outputs: -

The Sony VGP-MR100, incorporates a high-def Sigma EM8620L chip-set: -

http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/vaio/acc/acc.cfm?pd=19898

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 3rd January 2007 at 13:01.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 22:24   #2  |  Link
gircobain

Cool as

Any idea what range of prices are these devices coming out at?
gircobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 22:26   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by gircobain
Cool as

Any idea what range of prices are these devices coming out at?
Around $200.00 (200.00) for the ADS. I don't know about the Sony!

Cheers
Old 10th January 2005, 22:21   #4  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

ADS MediaLink - European version

Just to wet your appetites a little more... It seems as though the European version of the ADS device comes with DVI and optical digital outputs

It uses Sigma's EM851x chip-set which is capable of supporting AAC-LC audio, so in theory, it should be able to handle Mpeg4/AAC in MP4 files. Here's a link to a French web site that contains a little more information: -

http://www.repaire.net/site/diffusio...link/index.php

... I think you'll get the idea!

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 18th March 2005 at 16:27.
Old 12th January 2005, 02:46   #5  |  Link
Stratego

Any idea if this device could play 720p or 1080i mpeg2 files or even "hires" avi files ?

It probably has to actually decode everything going through the network so I guess the answer will be negative. In that case, does anyone know of any media streaming device capable of streaming HD mpeg2 and mpeg4 ?
Stratego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2005, 12:37   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratego
Any idea if this device could play 720p or 1080i mpeg2 files or even "hires" avi files ?
No it can't....

As I mentioned, the device incorporates a Sigma chip-set, which processes/decodes all the media data. This particular make/model of chip-set can only cope with: -
Quote:
MPEG-1, MPEG-2 MP@ML, MPEG-4 ASP@L5* video decoding
Which means, a maximum "input" pixel size of 720x576 414,720 total) pixels!

When it comes to high-def, Sigma currently produce an EM8620 chip-set, but as far as I know, it's not yet available within a media streaming device!

Cheers
Old 24th January 2005, 22:33   #7  |  Link
musicnyman

i've tried both the pinnacle showcenter and the d-link dsm-320, and they both do a horrible job at playing xvid/divx(mpeg-4) files smoothly on the tv. When i stream them via ethernet on these devices (so network/bandwidth shouldn't be a problem), it seems like it's missing some frames from the 23 frames per second it should be playing, especially in high motion/pan scenes. i'm pretty sure the showcenter uses a sigma chip, don't know what model/type, but i was hoping it would fix the problems with choppy playback of xvid files on the d-link. it helped, but it's not 100% smooth.

anyone had any hands on experience with ADS? how do 1.5 gig Xvid/Divx files look?

anyone else have any good media streaming devices they have had some good luck with and can play mpeg4 files smoothly?

--- addition
found the model on the web:

Pinnacle integrated into the ShowCenter the modern chip Sigma Design REALmagic EM 8551

Last edited by musicnyman; 24th January 2005 at 22:36.
musicnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2005, 22:54   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi musicnyman,

There's a guy over on the 8dims forum who has a couple of the ADS devices..... Maybe you could ask him to confirm some of your queeries/problems.

Please look here: http://8dim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2213

Cheers
Old 24th January 2005, 23:49   #9  |  Link
musicnyman

kewl thanks,

i can't register on that forum for some reason. just goes in a loop when i hit "agree". i'll check it later.

also, looks like the US version doesn't have optical out yet right? that would be a requirement for me. no news on when that french reviewed box is coming to the US yet right?

and i saw your HD posts on the new sigma chip. going to have to wait for a good stable box for that one might as well wait for a good box that will do xvid/divx HD content as well as smooth xvid/divx playback.

thanks!
Old 25th January 2005, 00:01   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Normally you guys in the US get all the fancy tools before we do in the EU.... but it looks like we've out done you on the ADS Media Server

When it comes to the high-def/res Sigma chip-sets (developement kits), I'm inclined to agree with you... They don't appear to be stable enough/reliable enough for my tastes either ... which is a great shame!

Cheers
Old 28th February 2005, 14:43   #11  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

The Zensonic Z400 Digital Network Media Player

Direct Zensinic web site link: http://www.ziova.com/z400.php

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 9th March 2007 at 18:48.
Old 10th March 2005, 19:48   #12  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

ADS Media-Link MXL-581

I received one of these ADS Media-Link MXL-581 devices a couple of days ago and have had it hooked up in our kitchen to a 15" LCD TV/PC screen and micro hi-fi unit... and I have to say my first impressions are very encouraging

For those of you with large collections of iTunes audio tracks (AAC .m4a) sitting on your PC/server, you might like to know that such tracks can be played back perfectly...

Mpeg4 video in the .AVI and .MP4 container are also supported... I will do some more tests. And if any of you would like me to test some files, please let me know?

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 11th April 2005 at 13:22.
Old 11th April 2005, 13:21   #13  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Pinnacle ShowCenter 200

As reported in this thread Pinnacle Systems have launched their std-def/high-def media streaming device.

Proposed costs in the UK should be around 200.00

Cheers
Old 14th April 2005, 22:26   #14  |  Link
musicnyman

i've decided to leave pinnacle with all the problems and no support and bought a buffalo linktheater instead...i'll compare
Old 12th July 2005, 16:06   #15  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

ADS Media-Link Test Results

In case some of you are interested.... and why not!

I've posted some test results for this device here.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2005, 12:44   #16  |  Link
SBaT

Buffalo looked really promising untill I found out that it dosent have any HDMI/DVI connector .
SBaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2005, 16:51   #17  |  Link
spiderman123

Hi seemore digital

firstly thanks for all your info i'm new to the game but have found it very handy

where did you buy yours from and how do you rate it against snazio and other prods
tanxs
spiderman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 01:24   #18  |  Link
spiderman123

hi ya
i'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who bought the ads tech media link
cheers
Old 11th September 2005, 09:05   #19  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Sorry Spidey,

You should be able to obtain the ADS Media-Link from Dabs.com. It's quite a basic media serving device, built around one of Sigma's "std-def" capable chip-sets..... It's a very stable, small, neat looking device, with bags of connectivity along with EtherNet and wireless networking connectivity.

However, the remote control is awful, and ADS are not very communicative with their customers.... hence... no firmware upgrades since launch!

SnaZio on the other hand sell two devices built around one of Sigma's "high-def" capable chip-sets, the EM8620L.....

The first device, the SnaZio SZ1350 is fitted with a CD/DVD-ROM drive. The second device, SnaZio SZ1350 is a media server. Both offer virtually the same level of connectivity. ie: composite, s-video, component and DVI outputs for the video along with 2Ch/6Ch analogue RCA/phono and S/PDIF outputs for the audio. Plus EtherNet and wireless networking.

As new products go the SnaZio's have caused quite some excitement and appear to be better products than their immediate rivals, ie: I-O DATA's AVLP2 and Buffalo's Link-Theater.

But.... your choice will depend on what you want from such devices ofcourse.... and I can't help you with that

There will be other devices appearing very soon, including Zensonic's Z500 which will offer NeroDigital certification, SMB sharing, HDMI (with HDCP), FLAC audio playback and hopefully Matroska container support (via a firmware upgrade after launch).

Hope this helps....
Old 11th September 2005, 23:12   #20  |  Link
spiderman123

i know what you mean about ADS i've emailed 4 time last week enquiring as to where i could buy one (DABS are out of stock and not getting any more in).
i think i'll wait for the snazzio to drop.

i've bought a 2nd hand kiss 1504 for 70 so that will do until then.

i don't have a hi def plasma yet or any media so theirs no point in buying the snazio yet

shame about the ADS player, its so frustating to see companies come out with great products and then lose the plot.
kiss is a good example the software that comes with it is pants yet some guy in his spare time has wriiten something far superior ( EzLinkNG)

thanks for the advice guys