Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 4th March 2004, 01:12   #1  |  Link
lakedude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48
Why it is ok to "pirate" IMO

If you go to Walmart and buy something and you don't like it you take it back and get a refund. With software you buy it, try it and if it don't work or you don't like it then too bad for you cause you can't return it. If all movies were great and all software worked perfect out of the box I wouldn't mind paying up front for them. Thing is you are batting less then 500 most of the time and I for one will not pay for something that sucks if I can help it. It is too bad that there is no middle ground. I would love to pay fu2k and UMP for their work on Fair Use but that is impossible. I played Duke Nukem all the way thru on a pirate disk but later bought it out of respect. The makers of good software are in a tuff spot as they should have the right to get paid for their work.

A question for all the pirates: How would you go about protecting good softare companies from piracy?
lakedude is offline  
Old 4th March 2004, 01:31   #2  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer
 
Sirber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,978
By "good software compagny", do you mean one like "Croteam"?
__________________
Detritus Software
Sirber is offline  
Old 4th March 2004, 03:01   #3  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace
 
avih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Right there
Posts: 1,949
Re: Why it is ok to "pirate" IMO

Quote:
Originally posted by lakedude
... How would you go about protecting good softare companies from piracy?
by making an example from yourself, not pirating, and preaching others that pirating is a very bad idea. both morally and leagally. period.

just like i'm doing now.

oh.. there u go. have a double strike for supporting piracy.

next time when you want to express your oppinion and support piracy, pls do it somewhere else, as it's not tolerated on this board.
__________________
E8400/P43, 4G, GTX260+, Win7-64.
Get Firefox. Get SmoothWheel Firefox extension.

Last edited by avih; 4th March 2004 at 03:09.
avih is offline  
Old 4th March 2004, 03:55   #4  |  Link
lakedude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48
Sorry once for being an (partial) advocate of piracy, and twice for making this a seperate thread from the pirate poll at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71946 I hit a wrong button and ended up making this new thread instead of a reply.

Avih

Did you give them a hard time as well?
lakedude is offline  
Old 4th March 2004, 04:03   #5  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace
 
avih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Right there
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally posted by lakedude
Sorry once for being an (partial) advocate of piracy, and twice for making this a seperate thread from the pirate poll at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71946 I hit a wrong button and ended up making this new thread instead of a reply.

Avih

Did you give them a hard time as well?
so far imho, no one had crossed the line yet. but the moderation team is watching that thread closely.

remorse is good for your health . cheers.
__________________
E8400/P43, 4G, GTX260+, Win7-64.
Get Firefox. Get SmoothWheel Firefox extension.

Last edited by avih; 4th March 2004 at 04:05.
avih is offline  
Old 4th March 2004, 13:15   #6  |  Link
Wilbert
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 6,293
Quote:
Thing is you are batting less then 500 most of the time and I for one will not pay for something that sucks if I can help it. It is too bad that there is no middle ground. I would love to pay fu2k and UMP for their work on Fair Use but that is impossible.
I'm sure that more people think this way.

Quote:
I played Duke Nukem all the way thru on a pirate disk but later bought it out of respect. The makers of good software are in a tuff spot as they should have the right to get paid for their work.
Sorry, as already said, we don't discuss piracy on this board. Thread closed.
Wilbert is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.