Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 14th January 2004, 04:29   #1  |  Link
golfbc

The guide suggests 3-4 pass vbr and software supports only 2

Ok, I'm sold as a newbie on SVCD and DVD2SVCD. Now the purchasing decision...CCE or TMPG. The guide references setting up the encoder with 3-4 pass vbr. The documentation from both CCE and TMPG indicates only 2 passes available. What am I missing?
golfbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 05:21   #2  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Hi, golfbc. Both CCE and TMPGEnc can deliver high quality encodes on only two passes. Those guides were written when that fact was not known.

Still some users claim to get better results with several passes, but you may try and see for yourself and balance the time you want invested on the encode.

Currently, AFAIK, only CCE supports more than 2 passes. TMPGEnc only 2, but it does a very good job too with that.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 05:31   #3  |  Link
Matthew
jdgljlfljg

CCE Basic supports only 2 passes, that's one of the reasons (the main reason?) it is cheaper. The "full" CCE (as well as the trials) support up to 9 passes. CCE manual says quality maxes about between 3 and 4 passes, I think.

TMPGEnc is different, its 2 passes are not equivalent to CCE's, i.e. multipass 1 pass VBR in CCE (which is like 2 passes when vaf creation is included) is inferio's to TMPGEnc's 2 passes. So don't compare the 2 different apps from that perspective.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2004, 23:50   #4  |  Link
golfbc

Thanks guys for the input. I try to read the guides and posts before asking any questions....the process exposes the reader to a learning experience much greater than asking one question at a time. The two pass process for under $60 is where I'm headed. Thanks again.
golfbc is offline   Reply With Quote