Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2003, 17:01   #1  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Need help finding an Aki standalone with DivX/XviD support

A friend of mine is going to buy it but asked me to find some info on its quality, especially how good the DivX/XviD support is. Problem is, we don't know the model number. I checked Aki's website and they don't seem to list such a standalone, but then again they might not have the list of the models that are on sale in Uruguay (which is where I live). Can anyone help me?
Chainmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2003, 17:32   #2  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Well, a friend of mine tried some DivX stuff, some XviD stuff with AC3 sound and it seems to handle that well. It doesn't seem to be able to display subs. Anyway, I'd appreciate if someone can help me find some real info on this player. Aki has yet to answer my mail...
Old 22nd December 2003, 14:38   #3  |  Link
advan

The version number for the aki dvd is DV-001B
but i cant find any info in the web, only in ebay.ch
http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&category=8327

Saludos
advan
advan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 18:26   #4  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Me ganaste de mano, iba a postear para poner eso !

I can confirm that this Aki player can play XviD and DivX3, it also played Mpeg4v2, although it showed some significant blockyness and color bleeding that I'm pretty sure aren't in the source (a 2CD rip @512x224 with AC3). Maybe Mpeg4v2 support is just borked...
It doesn't support OGM or separate subs. It has no problem when using playing back AC3 or MP3 sound.
AFAIK, there's no way to make a firmware upgrade on it. I don't know what chipset it uses either.

Last edited by Chainmax; 23rd December 2003 at 18:30.
Old 23rd December 2003, 22:50   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Why not have a look at some of the newer players which use the MT1389xx chipset?

You will find info about these players all over this section of the forum. And they are in the price range you quoted!

Cheers
Old 24th December 2003, 00:31   #6  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Uruguay isn't exactly a country known for its wide selection of purchaseable technology, most people domn't even know MPEG4 capable standalones even exist, much less that the MT1389xx chipset is out .
Old 24th December 2003, 12:26   #7  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
Uruguay isn't exactly a country known for its wide selection of purchaseable technology, most people domn't even know MPEG4 capable standalones even exist, much less that the MT1389xx chipset is out .
I know what you mean. MT chipset players are a bit thin on the ground in the UK too!

But remember they have only just been launched. If you wait a month or so, you never know, you might find one in your local supermarket!

If you do manage to get hold of an ASP player (with an MT chipset, I think it will be well worth the wait.

Happy hunting
Old 24th December 2003, 17:42   #8  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Well, if I ever get enough money to buy a player for myself I'll be sure to buy an MT1389xx chipset-based one or one with whatever better chipset comes out in the future.
In any case, such a purchase will have to be made in the U.S or other foreign country. That kind of stuff will likely never appear here. AFAIK the most recognizable brand over here is Aki: Panasonic, Toshiba or other good brands of standalones don't exist here. I'm pretty sure that most of the players available here don't even have progressive scan .
Old 24th December 2003, 17:57   #9  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Chainmax
Well, if I ever get enough money to buy a player for myself I'll be sure to buy an MT1389xx chipset-based one or one with whatever better chipset comes out in the future.
In any case, such a purchase will have to be made in the U.S or other foreign country. That kind of stuff will likely never appear here. AFAIK the most recognizable brand over here is Aki: Panasonic, Toshiba or other good brands of standalones don't exist here. I'm pretty sure that most of the players available here don't even have progressive scan .
Well that's the beauty about the MT chipsets. It's not really been picked up for use with the big manufactureres players.

As yet, the MT chipsets have appeared in all manner of strange named players. I guess we will all have to keep a look out for even more names to appear!
Old 25th December 2003, 02:22   #10  |  Link
advan

Are you sure?
no way to make a firmware upgrade?

i found this about Aki DVD-Player Mpeg4, DIVX,etc
from http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7&category=8327

"Firmware Upgrades möglich / Betriebssoftware aufrüstbar: zukünftige Audio und Video Formate die der Player heute noch nicht kennt, können in Zukunft per Update aus dem Internet geladen und auf CD gebrannt werden und der Player rüstet sich damit selbst automatisch auf und unterstützt diese danach"

in english
"Firmware Upgrades possible/system software expandable: future audio and video of formats those the Player today yet does not know, can in the future by updates from the InterNet be loaded and on CD burned and the Player rigs themselves thereby automatically and supports these thereafter"

Saludos
Old 26th December 2003, 07:00   #11  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

Well, my friend got the player and has been testing it. According to him, the manual is a piece of crap and doesn't mention the possibility to make firmware upgrades. The vendor couldn't tell him anything because he had no clue at all. Plus, Aki's page (aki.en.alibaba.com) doesn't even list the player and using a firmware upgrade from other companies (like Kiss, Elta et al) is not recommended, much less when you don't even know which chipset your player has.
Old 9th January 2004, 14:14   #12  |  Link
advan

Any news about the chipset or firmware upgrades ?

Saludos
Advan