Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 28th November 2003, 13:48   #1  |  Link
Sigmatador
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Kiss Firmware GPL'ed

The kiss DVD player has now its firmware under GPL license:
http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=hot_news&v=users

I think this mpeg4 home player is currently the only one based on sigmatek technology which can decode srt(not muxed), ogg(not muxed) and DivX GMC.
This firmware seems to be a linux-like.
So i hope there's some linux and matroska guru's here

Last edited by Sigmatador; 28th November 2003 at 13:52.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 14:58   #2  |  Link
bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,779
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmatador
The kiss DVD player has now its firmware under GPL license:
http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=hot_news&v=users
hm, good idea to go this way

Quote:
I think this mpeg4 home player is currently the only one based on sigmatek technology which can decode ... DivX GMC.
nope the elta 8883 can also decode GMC and QPEL!

check out the discussion in the hardware player forum
i think this thread also fits better there -> moved
__________________
Between the weak and the strong one it is the freedom which oppresses and the law that liberates (Jean Jacques Rousseau)
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 15:24   #3  |  Link
[Toff]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 320
Well, it's not really the source of the firmware. Only a part of it.
In fact only the modifications from Sigma Designs to µCLinux kernel and busybox which are GPL.

But there is this project http://jasperin.sourceforge.net which aim to recreate the missing part
__________________
Regards [Toff]
[Toff] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 15:25   #4  |  Link
Sigmatador
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
nope the elta 8883 can also decode GMC and QPEL!
is-it based on sigmatek chipset ?? (i thought not, thats why)
because most of the mpeg4 player use this (old and cheap) chipset.
So, sure a customized kiss firmware could be use with H&B dvd player (they're identical) and why not other player ^^ (which necessary used the Sigmatek SDK)


Quote:
check out the discussion in the hardware player forum
i think this thread also fits better there -> moved
i wasn't sure that matroska guys often come in this forum ^^
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 15:28   #5  |  Link
Sigmatador
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by [Toff]
Well, it's not really the source of the firmware. Only a part of it.
In fact only the modifications from Sigma Designs to µCLinux kernel and busybox which are GPL.

But there is this project http://jasperin.sourceforge.net which aim to recreate the missing part
well, this part of code, is it the only one we need to add custom splitter and decoder ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 15:35   #6  |  Link
[Toff]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: FRANCE
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmatador
well, this part of code, is it the only one we need to add custom splitter and decoder ?
No, it's like you have the source of Windows but not of the player.
You first need to develop a player, and the harder part is to use the dedicated hardware for video decoding. Documentation is probably pretty thin unless you have access to a Sigma SDK.
__________________
Regards [Toff]
[Toff] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 15:38   #7  |  Link
Sigmatador
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by [Toff]
No, it's like you have the source of Windows but not of the player.
You first need to develop a player, and the harder part is to use the dedicated hardware for video decoding. Documentation is probably pretty thin unless you have access to a Sigma SDK.
crap, it's not that usefull afterall... :-/

well, i think i'll return to my previous idea for matroska hardware playback, linux on xbox
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 16:11   #8  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 10,570
the kiss players are based on the sigma 85x0 chipset. GMC is emulated in software, QPel is too CPU consuming so they cannot emulate it. I suppose subtitles are also only done in software and there's no hardware support for it. In fact, since there's no industry wide standard there's probably never going to be hardware support for subs (unless we're talking about a standard container like mp4).
__________________
For the web's most comprehensive collection of DVD backup guides go to www.doom9.org
Doom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.