Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 2nd November 2003, 22:38   #1  |  Link
jjwerrett

TMPGenc rate control help

like the post before from another user, what is the best to use as has anyone here done a encoding in the default "motion estimate search (fast)" and also done a encoding of the same film in "High Quality (slow)"? if so how much diffrence in quality was there of blocks or that as i am doing AVI "Xvid + DivX" to Mpeg2 and really want help to know is it worth using higher and more time or not really. I heard that the "Highest Quality (slowest)" is not good to use as you actually lose quality on scencs with alot movement in the background that the eye cant see but the encoder can so it wastes bitrate on it (weird)

i would really like help from all you TMPGenc/Plus members out there as i am doing Final Destination 2 and just did a High Quality (slow) encoded and dont wana do it again in the default Estimate search. It will help for encoding of other dvd in which setting to use for the "MOTION SEARCH"

thank you all my english is prob crap to at 18 i still dont no my english very well lol

Last edited by jjwerrett; 2nd November 2003 at 22:45.
jjwerrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 10:24   #2  |  Link
Kika

Highest Quality is only usefull for interlaced Encoding.
If you are transcoding DivX/XviD it depents on your Bitrate and on your filtering/resizing, what to use. On Standard-SVCD i suggest to use High, on higher Bitrates (for DVD), Motion Estimate is enough.
Kika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 19:00   #3  |  Link
jjwerrett

hiya there thanks alot can other people tell me please what the think to etc as opinions of others i sure will help few other people like me etc all my movies are downloaded etc so they all diffrent sizes and filters used i gess but normal motion seems recommend as i am doing DivX + XviD to DVD so if other people would give there ideas to and if anyone had done like 3 encodings or 2 of the same film with the diffrent motion estimate search thingy and which was best

thanks you mate for the reply i sure it help not just me but others when it comes to that setting to make

anyway hope to hear from loads of other people
Old 4th November 2003, 08:11   #4  |  Link
jojo15

i also tried different things,
and i think the difference aint that big,
only when there's fast action, highest quality will make it look a little better, but for the rest it doesnt matter much, i always use it though cause my pc does it really fast even at "slowest"

hope i've been a little help
jojo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 11:38   #5  |  Link
jjwerrett

thanks for help anyone else wanna just reply and put down there settings of motion detect they use for films etc as this will help all TMPG users most of all the beginners who want help

o yea i got a problem to ask it is coming up with a operation float point error and does not go past 50% on a VBR encode since i installed this codec pack can someone help me there as i cant do anything bout it

anyway bak to this hope others can put down there views of the diffrent settings of motion detection rate control

thanks
from jj