Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 6th August 2003, 03:53   #1  |  Link
jaymanchu

Capturing video less than 2 hrs. over 4.7GB

I am trying to capture some of my home videos that are around 2hrs in length or less, however, I'm finding that the files are too big to put on 1 dvd. However dvds are suppose to hold up to 120 minutes. What am I doing wrong??
jaymanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 14:47   #2  |  Link
ppera2

You need to write more details that someone can give you exact advice - which software you use, settings, what codec, format etc...

Generally, it's normal. I suppose that you capture in Mpeg2 directly. But VHS has big noise, and that's not good for compression, so software produces bigger file (bigger bitrate).
Depending on used software you can try: set to lower quality, using noise filter, set sharpness to lower (it 'kills' noise ) etc.

Best is of course to perform postprocessing, mostly noise removal with AVISynth.
ppera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2003, 20:41   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

If your home videos are on DV tape (DV AVI format) 2 hours of A/V would occupy around 27,000MB or 26.4GB of hard disc space. All of which can be converted to an Mpeg2 data stream if you use a CBR of around 5000kbps (inc audio). And then authorized to .vob file(s) suitable for burning to a DVD disc.

Please don't forget that a blank DVD does'nt actually allow you to store 4.7GB of data. It's more like 4.36GB (4464MB).