Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 29th April 2003, 21:08   #1  |  Link
madoka

Encrypted ISO ripped with DVD Decrypter unplayable

In the interest of speed, I set DVD Decrypter not to decrypt when I rip discs to ISO images. However, the resulting ISO images, when mounted with Daemon Tools, aren't playable with PowerDVD. Either the movies are garbled as if they weren't decrypted, or PowerDVD crashes. I have set both PowerDVD & Daemon Tools to the correct region.

When I examine the mounted images with DVD Decrypter, it says that the discs aren't encrypted. What's happening here?
Old 29th April 2003, 21:28   #2  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

if you could just copy the dvd to your hard drive without decrypting why should it be encrypted first? (:

steVe
Old 30th April 2003, 02:04   #3  |  Link
madoka

killingspree:

Perhaps my subject could have been more clear. What I meant was that I ran DVD Decrypter in ISO Read mode, with the CSS Cracking Method set to None. I assumed that this will give me an ISO image of the disc, with CSS encryption still intact.
Old 30th April 2003, 09:58   #4  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Yeah, it would do that but you cant then use it.

No virtual drives support mounting of CSS protected media. The physical disc must be queried to get decryption keys. These keys cannot be copied by simply creating an ISO.

DEAMON Tools always reports discs as being CSS free.

The only way to decrypt a disc in the form you currently have it (a css protected ISO) is to use the 'Brute Force' cracking method.

No retail program would (or should) ever include this functionality as basically its a hack and the company would probably get shut down.
Old 30th April 2003, 16:32   #5  |  Link
madoka

Okay, so I tried to rip from the ISO image with DVD Decrypter, setting CSS Cracking Method to Brute Force, and Force CSS Present turned on. The log shows the keys to be N/A, which I assume means that DVD Decrypter still thinks it's not encrypted. Needless to say, the ripped VOB is still garbled...

It's not just DVD Decrypter, I tried vStrip and it doesn't seem to run DeCSS either, though I'm not very familar with vStrip.
Old 2nd May 2003, 03:37   #6  |  Link
madoka

I did a little experimenting by copying the VOBs directly from the DVD to disk, then I ran vStrip on the copied VOBs. vStrip was able to decrypt the VOBs.

Next, I made an ISO image of the DVD with DVD Decrypter, again with CSS turned off. Then I mount the image with Daemon Tools, and copied from it the same VOBs to disk. However, this time vStrip wasn't able to decrypt the VOBs. So something must have been lost during the ripping process.

Is this a bug, or just how DVD works? Is there a way for me to reconstruct the "lost" information?
Old 2nd May 2003, 08:48   #7  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Ah yes.... of course!!!!

Now I know the problem!

It came to my attention that some dvds have their 'encrypted' flags set in the stream even though they arent. This causes problems for dvd2one and stuff (whereby they just bomb out saying 'encrypted data found' or something similar). To get around that issue, I made dvd decrypter reset the flag regardless of the decryption status of the disc.

Hmmm... I guess I should change it so that if css decryption method is set to 'none', it doesnt reset the flag.

That said, they should never be any reason for ripping a disc with css still intact. Its kinda pointless dont you think? - seeing as how nothing will play it!
Old 2nd May 2003, 22:46   #8  |  Link
madoka

So is there a way to turn on the flag? Or are the ISO images unsalvagable?
Old 9th May 2003, 11:51   #9  |  Link
madoka

From the lack of response, shall I infer that I can't recover anything from the encrypted ISOs?
Old 9th May 2003, 22:23   #10  |  Link
LIGHTNING UK!
Author of ImgBurn

Sorry, I didnt see that you'd replied!

Erm, no, I dont think you'll be able to do anything with them.
Old 10th May 2003, 03:20   #11  |  Link
madoka

Oh well...