Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 14th April 2003, 16:36   #1  |  Link
dogman-x

IfoEdit Authoring "Stream E0-Too Many Frame Drops"

First, let me say that I've looked over other Forum threads and haven't found anything that quite matches my problem.

I know that there is a subtitle bug in VobEdit for DVDs with multiple VOB-IDs, and that the work-around is to use VobSub and sub2sup, and this works fine for DVD backups. But this doesn't pertain to the problem I'm having below.

I'm trying to use IfoEdit to author content from camcorder tapes that were captured in Adobe Premiere. I use the Adobe Premiere CCE plugging to get the .m2v file, I use the AC3Machine tool to get the .ac3 file (224 K stereo) from the .wav file. I don't have any subtitles or chapter marks.

The problem is that IfoEdit usually complains about "Too Many Frame Drops" on stream E0 (i.e. the video stream).

This error happens around 80% of the time (i.e. around 20% of the time the .m2v files from the Camcorder tapes work fine with IfoEdit Authoring).

In trying to debug this problem, I've found an interesting (but slow) workaround. First, I use DVD Maestro to do a very basic authoring stage (i.e. just combine video and audio to VOBs). Second, I use VobEdit to demux the video back to another new .m2v file. When I use this new .m2v file, the IfoEdit Authoring works perfectly every time.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Note that this new .m2v file has a size that is very slightly different from the original one that was produced by the Adobe Premiere CCE plugin. Does DVDMaestro or VobEdit modify the MPEG2 headers? I can't imagine this is a peak bit rate issue, since the authoring/demux work-around doesn't change any bit rates.

As a side note, I'm well aware that I can use DVD Maestro to author, but I would prefer to use IfoEdit because when it does work, its faster and quite a bit simpler for what I'm doing.

Thanks, Dave.
dogman-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2003, 21:56   #2  |  Link
TRILIGHT

I know you were well intentioned by placing your post in the "DVD Authoring" forum. Most people in that forum do not use IFOedit though since it is not true authoring software. I'm moving your post to the IFOedit forum as you will probably receive a faster response there.