Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 11th March 2003, 23:30   #1  |  Link
jokeonyou

help

Took 2 days to download blade1.avi
Downloaded everything gordian knot had to offer. Read about more junk than i care to read..
spent 175 hours encoding the movie on nero burner...and guess what ,,,,,,,,NADA...tried to burn to a cd-r..which i was told would do the job.
Can some please give me the step 1,,2,,,3 for finally burning a flic,,,on a pentium 4 with at least a 40 gig hard drive..OR
DOES IT go right back to the beginning on the download.
at wits end....I need some tips on the start to the finish..
thks
jokeonyou
jokeonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2003, 02:48   #2  |  Link
DJ Bobo
Encoding Dinosaur!

First, an advice, don't ever say you downloaded it, there is some people here that will blame you directly, so always trick them with "I have an AVI I like to" ... never say where you got it from

Now to the topic: what do you want exactly? simply burn, or convert to VCD or SVCD to play it on your DVD player?

Please check the www.doom9.org guides.
DJ Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2003, 03:15   #3  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Re: help

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it useful. But DJ is correct, you probably need to re-read the forum rules. You seem to have missed rules 1, 2, 6, and 9. Of these, rule 6 is the most important. For further insight on that rule, please click on this thread from another forum.

You are starting, I believe, with content that is MPEG-4 based video in an .avi file. Gordian Knot is a tool to create those. It's primary function is to transcode from other high bitrate formats (usually DVD or video captures) into MPEG-4 codecs, such as DivX.

It wasn't clear, but it seems like you were trying to use Nero as an encoder for VCD, SVCD, or DVD. It may be possible, but few do it. The vast majority of members here who use Nero do so for burning data discs, for things like .avi files, or for burning video discs from images created with real encoding tools.. Instead, other encoding tools are used to create CD or DVD images; and Nero or another burning tool are used to put the images onto media.

Before going any further, it might help if you determined, first, what it is you are trying to produce. As it is, we can't exactly determine what you want to accomplish based on what you've written.

The guides are fairly well organized, I recommend starting with the large section called DVD Basics. It might help you figure out where to go next.

If you've been through those guides and get lost or confused, then tell us what it is you are trying to accomplish, and we'll be able to help you.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote