Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 7th March 2003, 19:10   #1  |  Link
pimpstavros

Dual layered burners

Just a general question, what does it take to do dual layer burning? How long do you think until dual layered burners (if they exist) will hit the consumer market for an affordable price? Did i waste my money on a single layer burner? I am tired of not making straight copies of DVD's and am wondering how long the physical limitations are going to last. I know there are programs to CRUNCH the dvd onto one 4.7 gig disk but I mean any consumer 9.4 gig DVD burners. Flame me if this is a dumb topic :>
pimpstavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2003, 20:12   #2  |  Link
ravenone_2000

Do a search below. The short answer is probably never. Reason being that commercial dual-layer DVDs are not burned, but pressed. Only hope might be a blue-ray 20+Gig disk for backups, but that's a ways off for most people.
ravenone_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2003, 23:17   #3  |  Link
cybercrap

To make a dual layer disc that is burnable would be a serious pain in the ass. First off, you have to make something that can be burnt through another layer that can also be burnt, but without effecting the other layer. Now that isn't that difficult, but it is when you consider that the layers have to be readable by the same wavelength that is currently in dvd players. And then if you manage to do that, you have to make it economical or else ya won't sell any. So pretty much, get used to single layer burners because they can barely get the blanks for them to work right and be inexpensive.
cybercrap is offline   Reply With Quote