Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2006, 22:55   #1  |  Link
flatstanly

Anorexic widescreen

Good morning everyone,

When I create movies using AutoGK from VOB files I am confused by the output for widescreen movies.

Non widescreen comes out fine, fills the screen nicely.

However, movies that are widescreen are always a lot lot thinnner than the original movie. Its as if Auto GK squishes the whole thing.

I have the advanced settings option set as Auto width.

I have played on two separtae systems.On one I had the original DVD playing. On the second I had the Auto GK rip. The autogk rip was significantly narrower than the original dvd....

Any help most gratefully received!!

Thanks chaps

Andrew
flatstanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 23:49   #2  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Good morning and welcome to the forum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstanly
...Non widescreen comes out fine, fills the screen nicely.

However, movies that are widescreen are always a lot lot thinnner than the original movie. Its as if Auto GK squishes the whole thing.
I suppose you have a 4:3 screen (or TV).
Thinner and squishes? Do you mean horizontal, vertical or both?

Quote:
I have the advanced settings option set as Auto width.

I have played on two separtae systems.On one I had the original DVD playing. On the second I had the Auto GK rip. The autogk rip was significantly narrower than the original dvd....
You need to compare what is comparable. Usually on PC, the software players (MPC is a good one) have a full-screen option (panscan on SAP) so you must compare you original and the avi at full screen; there should be no squish unless you have a resize or aspect ratio problem.

To see if you have a resize or aspect ratio problem, set your IFO file as source, give a name for the destination and hit preview: AGK will autocrop (cut black bars away) and view your dvd as it will be encoded +if+ the full width is retained (usually DVD are 720/480 NTSC or 720/576 PAL)
In the preview if you still see black bars it's a crop problem; go to hidden options (CTRL+F9) and follow the tutorial or FAQ or Forum recomandations
In the preview if the image is squished or has a wrong aspect ratio use hidden options and try other input AR.

Did I miss something in the title? (private joke) It doesn't seem

Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 14:58   #3  |  Link
manono

Hi-

I have played on two separtae systems.On one I had the original DVD playing. On the second I had the Auto GK rip.

How are you playing the AutoGK AVI to the TV? On a standalone, or from PC->TV using the video out?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 15:06   #4  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDid
Did I miss something in the title?
It is a play on words, since flatstanly's images appear to be too skinny. Anamorphic is a big English word starting with the letter "A", as is Anorexic.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Anorexia nervosa is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes an eating disorder characterized by low body weight and body image distortion....
@flatstanly: we are a global community, please remember that English is a second language for most of our membership.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 19:42   #5  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi
It is a play on words, since flatstanly's images appear to be too skinny. Anamorphic is a big English word starting with the letter "A", as is Anorexic...
Hi and thanks for improving my english, maybe I'll get certified one day

The private joke was refering to this post http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...027#post837027 in which I missed the title (Edit part)

@Manono, good point. This is why I was advising to compare the dvd and the preview avi on the same pc in full screen with 2 occurences of MPC (media player clasic) and switch from one to other.

Did
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 07:17   #6  |  Link
manono

Yeah, without enough evidence to go on yet, I'm thinking it's an overscan issue. If, for example, he sends the AVI from a computer, there's no overscan, the image will be smaller, and the height less than if he's playing the DVD from a standalone to a TV with overscan. Then the sides are cut off, and the height is greater. He doesn't seem to be claiming that the AutoGK AVI has bad AR (he hasn't said people look short and fat), but just that the height is less than that of the DVD.

There could also be other reasons for the difference, none of them having to do with AutoGK making a bad AVI.

And yes, BigDid, your method should also help solve the problem.
Old 8th June 2006, 09:12   #7  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono
...There could also be other reasons for the difference, none of them having to do with AutoGK making a bad AVI.
Indeed...

Such as, the make and model number of MPEG-4/DVD player?

As not all of them are able to correctly handle MPEG-4 video streams that contain aspect ratio signalling.

EDIT: It sounds like FlatStanly does not have a stand-alone player. In that case.... Can he confirm the type of MPEG-4 direct-show decoder filter he's using.... as not all of them are able to correctly handle MPEG-4 video streams that contain aspect ratio signalling either!

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 8th June 2006 at 10:04.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 09:58   #8  |  Link
flatstanly

Good morning chaps,

Firstly what a wonderfully friendly bunch you are & thanks for all your pointers !!

My setup is thus,
3 x Windows XP SP2 PC
2TB terastation attached at the router by ethernet. I am simply too lazy to get up and put on a CD / DVD / Videotap so have put all of them online. Its rather fab as I can stream evrything to everyroom in the house. Via my VPN I can also stream to anywhere on the planet - I am sucha geek...

I play most of my main movies on either my sony widescreen TV or on my projector. The output for both comes from my main PC which runs the rather wonderful showshifter (however the very thin strip of movie that plays is the same in both WMP and SS.)

I have always utilised IFO mode in DVD decrypter as I have no worries about space and always delete the resultant IFO after i have created my AVI.

The image is not distorted simply smaller than the original, with the most noticeable element the fact that the bars at the top and bottom are a lot larger (deeper) than on the original DVD.

I will have a rummage around the settings in AutoGK (hidden ones) as mentioned above and get back to you. Thanks again chaps and if there are any more tips I would be overjoyed !!

F.S.
flatstanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 11:51   #9  |  Link
manono

So both the DVD and the AutoGK generated AVI are coming out of the computer? Then there goes my overscan theory.

New theory. The software DVD player plays the DVD with bad AR. This is common with players like PowerDVD. Then I would suggest doing as BigDid said. Open 2 instances of Media Player Classic (or maybe VLC player) and compare the heights when fullscreened.